cat "crying" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

cat "crying"

I read a lot of posts from cat owners (usually new cat owners) who are all worked up because their cat is "crying". Or they're getting up at night, or they're feeding extra food because their cat is "crying". Let's face it...a lot of the sounds a cat makes sound to human ears like crying, simply because our brains are programmed to interpret sounds like that as a human child in distress.

But the cat is not necessarily in distress when it makes those sounds. It's more important to decipher the cat's behavior, and its "body language" to determine if it's in distress. And that takes getting to know your cat. The only way to tell if the sounds it makes are the sounds of a cat in distress is if they are sounds that cat does not normally make.

Rocket is a VERY talkative cat, and right now he's walking around the house with his tail in the air, a happy, healthy cat, making sounds that, if you were standing outside my window (well, in the summer anyway, not now...the window's closed), you would SWEAR I was torturing my cat. I certainly am not!! That's just the way he is. I don't know why he talks so much more than my other cats, but he does, and a lot of his talk sounds pretty distressing, if you didn't know him.

Don't assume there's something wrong with your cat just because you think he/she is crying! What is the cat DOING?

Thanks for putting up with my little rant...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
You make a very good point Like babies, you can usually tell what "kind" of cry it is (i.e. "I'm hungry!" "I'm lonely" "Let's play", etc.) I rarely indulge the lonely or bored cries, unless they escalate, which usually happens when one of the kittens can't find mom or her sister
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Cat Addict

Just like a baby crying. There are different baby cries to signal different emotions. And a parent just learns to differenciate between, conversational "I'm awake in here" cries and hysterical "I'm scared...where are you!" cries.

I usually go see what Thomas is crying about, even when it's not a upset cry. Like last night, I was downstairs in the bathroom and I could hear Thomas upstairs crying, an "I want that and can't get it" cry. (He does this for my hanging plants a lot!). So I go upstairs and for a few minutes couldn't figure it out. Until I finally noticed the fly on the ceiling. I went and got a magazine and swatted the fly down into Thomas' area of reach and that was that. Of course, a minute later he lost the fly and started crying again. But I couldn't find it either so...that was that.

Is it totally weird that I've considered releasing bugs in the house, like a fly, so that Thomas has something to hunt and kill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Jr. Cat

Aren't some breeds more vocal than other cats?

I think certain breeds are more vocal than other cats. I have heard siamese are very loud cats. Also I was at a cat show last year and that was my first time seeing Bengals in person, WOW where they loud! Beautiful cats but I don't think I could put up with their crying.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Re: Aren't some breeds more vocal than other cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover7731
I think certain breeds are more vocal than other cats.
that may be. I don't know hardly anything about breed characteristics. Rocket is just a DSH orange tabby.

but then, I think he's an exceptional cat
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:29 PM

Bosco was an Orange & white tabby.....he used to cry like a female in heat....he was goofy!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
Bosco...was goofy!
one reason you miss him so much....a cat with an outsize personality, even if it's strange, can grow on you....
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I completely know what you're saying!! My cat has never had a normal "meow"... its always a pathetic little "eeh" or a sad, lonely sounding "moowww"

Its so funny, because the house will be still and quiet, then he sprints across the house (my little "elephant") and gets in a room on the other side, realizes he's alone and kinda "mow? MOW?" its so cute

Lately, he's been more vocal. Not louder or more demanding, just making more noise. I have to laugh at him more than anything else. He's just so cute

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Cat Addict

But what if the crying continues all night? The mother cat that I'm fostering has been so vocal lately that I'm getting concerned. She cries constantly -- she wants in a room, so I open the door and she won't go in, she wants food then doesn't eat it. I'm wondering if she's in heat? I have no idea, but it has got to stop...I'm losing sleep!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:53 AM

Cats will cry when they are in heat, no doubt. Sometimes they are just vocal, though. Charlie is a very vocal guy and speaks to anyone who will listen. The dogs, the kids, us, the wall, the mail truck passing by, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page