Shy Kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Shy Kitty

One year ago, I purchased a 3 month-old Ragdoll kitten. When I brought him home, he was naturally scared and hid from me. I assumed that his behavior would change once he became used to the new environment, me, and the other kitties. Unfortunately, his behavior has not changed.

I've been patient with him and attempted to gain his trust by approaching him slowly and using soft soothing tones with him. However, I am unable to walk up to him or even walk by him without him running from me. The only time he will approach me is when I'm laying down. I assume this is a non-threatening position to him. At this time he wants attention and affection.

He will not have anything to do with my husband. However, he has socialized well with the other two kitties in the house. Does anybody have any suggestions to gain his trust or is this a situation that will not change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Senior Cat

Something that many people have had luck with is this:

Be sure you are alone in the room with him. No other kitties should interupt.

Sit on the floor near (but not too close to scare him) your kitty. Talk in nice soft tones and remain as still and calm as you can. (make sure you go to the bathroom first, you may be there a while)

You could also read aloud softly. Keep a comfortable distance. After a while, he should come out to look at you. DON"T immediately reach out to pet him. Let him come to you. When he does, praise him and pet him. Reassure him that it's ok. Don't pick him up or try to force him into a position. He needs to be "in charge" of the situation. After a few times, move to sitting in a chair instead. Eventually, he will grow adjusted to your presence. Whenever you see him, remeber, soft tones. Reward his actions with treats or play or petting.

This takes time, but it does work. Both of you should do this if you want to have a good relationship with him.

Also keep in mind, that some cats are very shy. He may get better but not be as social as you other cats. It's ok. That's his personality. He'll find ways of bonding with you that are uniquely his.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page