new cat deterrents - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

new cat deterrents

I discovered a couple of new cat deterrents that I don't think are mentioned in any of the usual articles.

Many of these articles suggest orange peels. Well, they dry out real fast; I can't eat oranges fast enough. So, I went to the store looking for a citrus fragrance dispenser, and discovered Glade Plugins Scented Oil. I forgot the name of the fragrance; I think's it's grapefruit. Something citrus, anyway. I just buy the refill, not the dispenser. I take it apart and remove the wick. Then I pour the oil onto a cotton ball, and place on something like a margarine tub lid to protect the carpet, and place where I want the cat to stay away from. Works better than orange peels, and the room smells nice.

The other one is kind of stinky, but works good to rub on to electric cords, speaker wires, and stuff like that, because it retains its odor a long time. It's Tea Tree Oil, which I buy at the health food store. Melly just hates this stuff. I hold it up to her little nose and she recoils into the next room with her little eyes all scrunched up.

Just a couple ideas, in case you find them useful....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:40 PM

Good tips. Just a warning about tea tree oil. It can kill cats, one cat on another forum died after ingesting some accidentally after being splashed in a bath.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkitties
It can love cats
sorry, I can't figure out what you meant to say.

but, thanks for the caution. you should test it first to make sure your cat really hates it like mine do by rubbing a little on your finger and sticking it in front of their nose. there's virtually no chance they'll ingest it if they really hate the smell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 04:10 PM

Hmmm, how odd, k-i-l-l must be a filtered word on the forum, and got replaced by "love". It should read that it's deadly to cats. Thanks for pointing it out! Otherwise, it made no ever-loving sense, did it?!

EDIT: Saw timskitties' post below, but didn't want to hijack the thread, so I'll just add here.....wonder if it has to be followed by cat to get filtered.

EDIT EDIT: Just saw Celebsilmare's post saying the same thing. Boy, am I slow today.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 05:06 PM

lol.
Good to know about the plug in thing. The oranges I don't think were pungent enough to Belfour. But that might work!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm going to try the filter here: kill, kill, kill, kill!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

boy, that's REALLY bizarre!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 12:04 AM

Wow. Thanks for all the suggestions. Orange and lemon rinds too I guess eh? I like that. Hrm.. I wonder... I'm going to place some where he peed already. Do you think that will help? Hehe WILL TRY ANYTHING!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I don't know if it's meant to prevent them from spraying in a place already sprayed. There are enzyme cleaners to remove those smells, which is why they come back to the same place.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Senior Cat

Maybe the filter is on a phrase like kill followed by cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page