Water Obsession/Fur Removal - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Water Obsession/Fur Removal

Hi, I'm new here and I could use some advice. I have had cats all my life. I currently have two: Ella Fitzkitty and Franklin. Frank is the one giving me grief. There are two issues with him. Oddly enough, both seemed to get worse after my cat Bobby Shafto died a year ago, although I never really thought those guys were very close.

The first issue is that Frank is methodically removing his fur. He seems to be doing it through obsessive grooming. He has removed the hair on his stomach and parts of his forelegs. I took him the the vet several times. I use a vet that practices holistic/homeopathic medicine and she gave me some Bach's Flower Essences for Frank. We went through two vials of it and I did not see any change. It does not seem to be affecting his health - he is as affectionate and demanding as ever - but I'd like to figure out what is going on. We also ran bloodwork on him, which showed nothing.

The second issue is with the water bowl. Frank is obsessive about splashing all of the water out. We have tried several different types of bowls. Right now we have one of those inverted self-waterer things that holds about a half gallon of water. It takes him about two days to empty it. I have the waterer sitting inside a large baking pan with a large "lip" all the way around to catch the water. Then underneath that I have a bunch of towels because eventually, Frank scoops all the water from the bowl into the baking pan and then starts scooping it from there onto the surrounding towels. I don't know why I bother - the carpet is already ruined from this.

I was thinking of buying one of those water systems that keep the water running since cats seem to like that. Any input on this? Would I be wasting my money?

You may notice that I also have dogs so I want to add that I do acknowledge that the presence of the dogs may be causing some additional stress here but Frank has lived with dogs all his life and while he does like to smack them around, he generally seems to tolerate them just fine.

Any input would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Banned

Welcome fellow Wisconsinite!!

Cats do grieve when they lose a long-time cat pal. If your vet didn't find any medical reason for these behaviors, esp. the hair loss, it probably is a psychological issue. Something stronger than homeopathic medicine may be needed. I'd suggest seeing another vet for a second opinion.

Poor guy. I hope you find out what Frank's problem is and he gets it resolved.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:17 AM

Hello Claudia,

What was described here sounded like your kitty...it explains well, I am not sure you or your vet will agree with their recommended treatment plan. Worth the read anyhow.

FELINE HYPERESTHESIA, OVER-GROOMING, AND SELF-MUTILATION
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00026.htm

Do your cats have vertical space available? Cat towers or shelving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback on this. I'm sort of leaning towards thinking that Frank may need to try some medication. Right now we have no foster dogs in our home, he is getting a decent amount of attention, and I can see that he is still removing his fur. The homeopathic stuff didn't do the trick, so maybe I do need to think other options.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:14 AM

Claudia.....Arlo got adopted?

That would be good news!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
Claudia.....Arlo got adopted?

That would be good news!
Ha ha ha ha! You're a funny lady! No, seriously, I have him in another foster home for a while. I am desperately looking for a new foster home to take him long-term. My husband and I are in the middle of adopting a child and we are not going to be able to keep Arlo any longer. Arlo is not good with small children. I am just at a loss for what to do with the big guy. I've given up on someone adopting him - I just need to find another foster home for him . . . with no dogs in it, since he is also not good with other dogs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:36 AM

Oh Poop!

Congrats on you upcoming adoption....that is so exciting!
I hope Arlo can find a childless home. I wish I could take him.
After you had explained to me that I could not Foster due to liability issues with all of our children......it was a few months later and we really wanted to offer a foster home for a dog in need....so stubborn as I am.
We got a German Shep. mix named Buddy....beautiful, wonderful dog!
I had him 7 or 8 weeks it was until the dreaded horrifying day......Claudia!
He killed my cat! I still am full of grief and miss him everyday!
Buddy killed my Bosco! Heartbroken! So....needless to say, no more fostering for me. I tried with a good heart and good intentions.
But would be way too scared to volunteer myself again.
But dont forget to ask if you ever need a driver for transportation.
We are good drivers!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Dawn, I am so sorry. We have a dog in rescue right now that also killed a cat in one of our foster homes. We all felt sick sick sick over it. Fostering is very hard . . . no two ways about it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:03 PM

I kept Buddy another 2 weeks after the incident....I really wanted to see him to his new home. As bad as that hurt, I was not mad at the dog, but I would look at him and ask him "Oh, Buddy, why did you do this?"
I would cry on the dog literally. I did return him.

Not one single person from the shelter offered an appology or sympathy.
Not 1!!! That really added to my hurt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page