A weird (kinda scary) agressive moment (long) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

A weird (kinda scary) agressive moment (long)

Last evening, I was sitting reading, and Boba was sitting with me - or near me (the events leading up to The Moment are foggy for me) and he must have started to attempt to hold and bite my arm, because I was telling him firmly "No" several times.

Which seemed to make him mad, because he kept making attempts to bite my sleeve and arm, to which, I kept saying "Boba-No", or "Stop".

He started to get this unusual, angry look about him - ears laid back, eyes wide, sitting very straight, and kept reaching in to bite.

Eventually, I turned away from him onto my side, knowing all those signs were bad news, and I didn't want to get REALLY attacked. I was thinking that breaking eye contact, and ignoring him, could help.

He then started to bite the back of my pants - same kind of agressive/defensive body language. I told him "No" a few more times and sat back when he seemed to move away.

He then reapproached on my other side, sat looking at me (again, same angry body language going on) and was watching my arm/hand area - and then started to do his "I'm going to attempt to touch that" head tilt with a paw reaching out, and occasionally, reaching in with an open mouth.

I was getting nervous that he would actually attack my face, (he was quite close to me and looked very angry) so I got up slowly and left the room. He followed me, I ignored him, and when I met up with him a few minutes later in the bathroom, he was fine and sweet and completely back to normal.

What was that all about? It really freaked me out. I thought at any moment he would fly into my face, biting and scratching. I can't figure out what triggered it, and my firm "No"'s only seemed to make him more angry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:02 AM

WOW....I think you handled it very well. He really really wanted your attention! I wonder if this wasnt some serious play aggression?
Play with me NOW type of thing? I hope he dont scare you like this again.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Cool Cat

Might this have anything to do with the scab on Pfeffa's chin? If they got in an argument that was bad enough to draw blood, Boba may have been having some residual redirected aggression...it can last for several hours, and if he smelled Pfeffa on your sleeves and pants, it may have increased his annoyance. Just throwing out guesses here. Some cats, when they have aggression, really bridle at "No," or being thwarted in doing whatever they want to do...you handled it really well, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

It definitely could be related to Pfeffa - although, her chin scab appeared the day before yesterday, and this happened last night.

However, now that I think about this, there was a similar incident a few days ago when we were all in my studio (the two cats and I) and Pfeffa was on a chair with Boba on the floor reaching up and bugging her and Pfeffa was very annoyed, and I was annoyed so I told him "No" a few times, and began placing some obstacles between him and her, and he reached for my hand then, and then started doing similar things [to what happened last night], but directed toward my feet. It didn't last long - just a few attempts to bite my feet, and then either he wandered off, or I did, or Pfeffa did and he followed her.

Isn't there an article on littlebigcat about redirected play aggression? Think I'll go search that out.

Thank you both for saying I handled it well - I wasn't so sure, and am still not sure how to go about reacting to such in-my-face aggression.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:59 PM

Wow, you did exactly the right thing in the situation. It's so encouraging to read that the aggression/play was handled so well.

Gudewife's guess sounds good, or he may have just had a bee in his bonnet. Silly kitties .
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Banned

wow - ears laid back - that's a little scary. you handled this just right. hopefully it's just "one of those things" that cats do once in a blue moon that have no explanation. let us know how this plays out. I'd like to learn from it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:10 PM

Mi Mi has attacked my arm....if I ever thought she was gonna go for my face. I would probably melt down into a puddle of tears, after, I got up slowly and walked away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page