This may be a weird question but...(help please) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

This may be a weird question but...(help please)

Hi I'm new, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with this (please don't think I'm dumb, lol)

I have 2 cats who are related (I'm not positive how they are related, but they are most likely brother and sister - i'll be glad to explain in more detail if it is needed). They are 8 months now. The girl went into heat yesterday, and since she does have the boy cat around, she follows him around alllll day. We only have one litter box so I can't seperate them without having 'accidents'. I try my best to keep an eye on them so that they don't mate, but it's become impossible now. The whole reason I don't want them to mate is because they're related, but everyone keeps telling me it's not a big deal. So I guess I'm checking for sure. My question is - if they were to mate, since they are related in some way and possibly brother and sister, is that...bad? What i mean is... will there be birth defects in the kittens?

I plan on getting them both fixed but their vet said she wont spay the cat if it is in heat, so I have to wait. Oh, and if it is bad if they mate, does anyone have any ideas on how to keep them seperated?

And sorry, one last question. The girl is 8 months, but she's small for her age, most people that visit think she is only 3-4 months. Will it be more painful than usual for her to give birth should she become pregnant?

I'm sorry for the long post and so many questions! Thank you for any help in advance

Cindy

edit: I wasn't sure where to post this, so if I was supposed to post it elsewhere I apologize!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned

Cindy, couldn't you just get another litter box and keep them in separate rooms until her cycle is over? They aren't that expensive, and that simple solution would relieve all your concerns.

As far as brother and sister cats mating, it happens, and whether it's bad or not I can't say. The cat's genetic pool is pretty well diversified. But why risk bringing unwanted kittens into the world anyway?

Yes, it's possible there would be complications in a pregnancy if she's that small and it's her first time. Again, another reason to buy that litter box!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Cool Cat

I'd get the male neutered ASAP, if it isn't already too late, then you can spay the female after her heat (cats can be spayed while in heat, and even while pregnant, it's just more difficult and expensive, but there is nothing at all to stop your from neutering the male now...it's also cheaper than a spay...and cheaper than kittens).

My concern isn't that the cats are related, it's that they could mate, period. I see way too many unwanted cats and kittens to say otherwise. Kittens are expensive to raise properly and with adequate vet care, so plan ahead for several more spay/neuters, vaccinations, and vet care if kittens do come. How will you pay for and home them, and what will you do with any kittens that don't find homes or that have major medical problems? Those are all valid questions to ask before you knowingly let your animal breed.

Separate them at all costs and at all times, in different rooms with the door securely closed. You'll just have to spring for another litterbox (again, cheap compared to kittens) and keep them completely apart until one or both is fixed. Be prepared for some acting out, crying, caterwauling, urine spraying, scratched doorways, and broken knick-knacks along the way, as a female in heat will do anything to get to a male and vice-versa. It will be unpleasant, to be sure, but it beats a litter of unplanned kittens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

lol Well I wanted to get another litter box, but I live in a really small town and the only store that had them sold out (apparently everyone has the same idea lol). The next closest store is 30 miles away and roads are icy right now..... So, I'll try to build one lol Hopefully a cardboard box lined with aluminum foil will work. Anyway, thanks for responding!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

ya, that would work, or you could get a big rubbermaid wash basin. good luck!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Cool Cat

Line it with a big plastic trash bag instead of the foil...many cats dislike foil under their paws (I used it as a cat deterrent to keep Assumpta from scratching the speakers when she first came to us), but most don't mind plastic.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:31 PM

Get the male neutered. It doens't matter if they are related or not, they will mate(if they haven't already) and it's a BAD idea to let her have kittens. Especially because she is so young! Kittens who have kittens are very poor mothers, and most kittens die and the mother sadly can as well. She is sadly probably already pregnant.

Spaying while inheat is a bad thing too, so listen to your vet. But, pregnant or not, you can get your kitten spayed at a more costly rate. But it could save the lives on your cat AND her possible kittens.

A while back someones kitten birthed kittens who were still in their sack, and the momma didn't do nothing about it either
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:32 PM

Oh, and I might add. Even with the male neutered, he can still get her pregnant for a little while afterwards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page