What's wrong with my cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

What's wrong with my cat?

Somebody please help me...I'm really desperate...I need some answers...
Okay, first of all I'm new here so let me introduce myself. I'm a mum to a 2 year old cat. He turned up on my doorstep two years ago when he was a really tiny kitten. He's also my first cat and I adore him. He's black and white and has somewhat similar markings to the cat in in my icon.
I also own a dog.

Okay, so two days ago I was just chasing my cat as usual and playing hide and seek like I always do. Then suddenly he just sat down. Then he got up again and walked a few steps and sat down again. Then he just fell sideways to the floor like he'd been knocked down. Like he had no control and someone just pushed him over. Then his back legs went up in the air and they became really stiff. I thought he was dying. I couldn't believe it. My cat was dying before my eyes and I couldn't do anything about it.

Then he lay like that really still for a minute and his eyes were open throughout but he wasn't looking at me but just straight ahead, kinda fixed. Then he slowly got up and walked under the stairs.

Then we noticed that he'd done a small poo. And when I related this to one of my friends who had a cat she said that he just had a shock and that's what could cause sudden bowel movement. But that doesn't explain the way he fell to the ground or how his legs became so stiff.

Did he have a stroke? He does get out of breath and tired easily. Is something wrong with his lungs? Please please help. I have no clue what's happening to my cat. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Cool Cat

I think the wisest thing would be to have your little guy evaluated by a vet as soon as you can. For the cat's health and your own peace of mind, it would be the best course of action.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Cat

I don't think it was a stroke, sounds much more like a seizure.

With seizures, many times there is loss of control of many or all muscles because they are all trying to strech or contract at the same time. To you, this would appear as complete stiffening and even shaking slightly. Sometimes this results in BM, urination or vomiting. Plus as cats tend to hide what they are feeling, he will probably act fine until it happens again.

I would definately get you cat to the vet right away to find out what the cause of this is and what can be done.

Don't worry. Cats are very strong animals. With the right treatment, he's going to be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Cool Cat

Seizure was also my first thought, but it's definitely going to take a vet visit to know anything for sure.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Senior Cat

So? What did the vet say?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:49 PM

I also thought seizure, which isn't anything you can fix on your own, or the forum can help with. Hopefully you've taken your cat to the vet already to get a physical. Please update us when you get a chance.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:36 PM

Had a kitty that was abandon by his mother. He was so cute and pretty but if he ran he would fall over. Vet didn't really find anything. When he was about 18 months old had what I thought was a seizure on Saturday night but seemed fine after a few minutes so decided to take him on Monday. Monday morning early I woke up and he was in his normal place on the bed but he was having a hard time breathing. By the time I got up,got dressed and got to the vet he was almost dead. He did die a little later. Vet found a major heart defect. That explained why he had never been a romp and play kitten. The vet told me he was lucky to have lived as long as he had, that normally kittens with this die within the first month of life. Which is also why mama abandon him and took the other two with her. Have your kitty checked out ASAP.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

OMG I am really freaking out....I mean, I knew it was really serious when it happened but then so many people just dismissed it lightly saying that it was just a shock and nothing to worry about.
I've only now been able to read these messages because my ISP was down all these days.
There's a really HUGE problem. I live in India and everyone here (vets and so on) are so ignorant about cats and their needs. Most people here have dogs. Infact when I spoke to the vet on the phone he just said it's because of shock and he had a fright.
I didn't believe it then and going by the responses all of you have given me, I was right. It is really serious.
I don't know what the **** I'm gonna do about it though. How am I gonna find a good vet here who can handle small animals and knows something about cats.
You have no idea what it's like here, there's just no help for cats.
He's been okay since then but I really don't know...you can never tell with cats, right?
I'll have to figure something out...thankyou to all of you who responded.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Banned

You didn't say where you lived or what your nationality is. But I'm guessing if you are in a large city there may be a community of American ex-pats, and Americans have cats as pets, and they may know of a vet who is familiar with cats. I'm not sure how you might find these people, though. Is there an American consulate you can ask to find out who and where these people might be? Although I doubt if you get much help from a part of the American government. They're usually pretty useless.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Ex-pats! I never thought of that. That's a great idea! Thanks
Right now we're taking him to see this vet who's supposed to specialize in felines. Hopefully we'll get some answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page