Older Cat Says Kitty Must Go! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Older Cat Says Kitty Must Go!

Some of you may remember my previous post about this:https://catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=...er=asc&start=0
Well, I'm here to say that I just cannot make it work. There is too much fighting, too much stress, and not enough time for me to babysit these two felines. So, sadly and reluctantly I must find someplace for this young one.
I've only got a few days before I am at wits end with this. Does anyone know of any group or agencies in my area, (Fort Lauderdale, FL), who will take this kitten in before I am forced to bring her to the shelter?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Jr. Cat

If only we could do this with our children?

I am sorry to be rude , but you have only had the cat a short time and it does take patience. If this was your child would you simply try and find it a new home, because your older child wouldn't accept it? Just read about pet over population and how 4 million animals are put to sleep. I am sure if you really take some time with this it would work out. What does your wife and children say and what are you teaching your children about responsible pet ownership. I can only say if you must give this cat away go to www.petfinder.org and look for a shelter in your area (click the top tab button of shelter and rescue groups. ). Good luck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Cool Cat

Well, it does happen sometimes, even with the most careful and best-handled introductions. It's happened to me, so I know how hard it is...especially since you didn't go looking for another cat, it was a kitten rescued off the street by your wife and kids. Sometimes you just can't make it work, especially with a resident cat who's been queen of the roost for so long. If you feel that you've reached your limit, it's time to start considering the options.

So what are your options? First, you can rehome the cat yourself, by asking around friends, co-workers, neighbors, and relatives to see if they'd be willing to take in a lovable black and white kitten. Ask your vet if he will help you out in placing the kitten, vets often know of people looking for animals. Second, go to the "Cat Chat" forum and read the thread on No-kill shelters/rescues to see if there's one near you that has room (also, try a web search on your town name and "no-kill shelter" or "cat rescue"). Your last option should be to take the kitten to a pound or shelter that euthanizes on a large scale...they're crowded enough already, and it would be a sad end for the kitten to go from a family to a shelter, only to be euthanized in a week's time.

I know this is not a time when everyone is thinking clearly, but honestly, it will be easier to live with the situation just a little bit longer if you know that you're working on finding the best home for the kitten...it really does make it a lot easier to deal with it if you know for sure that you're making a plan...it helped me immensely knowing that we had a new home for the dog, even though he remained here for a week while his new people got ready for him...my cat was absolutely unbearable to live with, but just knowing that there was light at the end of the tunnel helped me get through that week.

Edited to add: Try here for a starting point, and ask shelters that don't have room if they have any suggestions after you explain the situation. Most will be happy to refer you to other shelters and agencies. A note, though...Florida shelters have been pretty overloaded since the huricaines, so it may take some legwork or spending some time on a waiting list...keep trying.

http://www.sheltersearch.net/shelters/fl.html

Also, try the "cats in need" forum here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Banned

Carbo - I remember about a month after I adopted Mellie and Rocket there came a point at which I thought I was at my wit's end, too, and that I would have to take Rocket back to the shelter. Funny how shortly after that things turned around and got better.

I know it's rough. Please have patience and bear with it a little while longer, and hopefully things will smooth out.

Life with cats is certainly interesting!! Right now I've been hearing these clunking noises coming from the kitchen, and I spied around the corner of the doorway to see Mellie trying to lift up one of their heavy porcelain water dishes with her mouth. Naturally, she's spilling water on the floor. Argh!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Carbo - I remember about a month after I adopted Mellie and Rocket there came a point at which I thought I was at my wit's end, too, and that I would have to take Rocket back to the shelter. Funny how shortly after that things turned around and got better.

I know it's rough. Please have patience and bear with it a little while longer, and hopefully things will smooth out.
I second that! When we brought Angel home we were told she did not like other pets. But it was us or the shelter for her and we didn't want that. Our 2 girls fought constantly for a month and after that we seen a little, I mean very little, progress as the weeks went by. It has been roughly 2 1/2 months with both and they still fight but they don't hurt each other or hide anymore, and I believe in another year they will either get along or at least stop fighting.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Premier Cat

So did you find a shelter or rescue for the kitty? I read the other post awhile back and was hoping it would of worked out
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

What can I say? I'm an old softie, and the kitty is firmly implanted in the household. At this point, it's safe to say she's a permanent addition.
The older cat has seemingly lost interest in the younger one. For example, she'll sleep comfortably on the couch while the kitten is playing on the floor. If you told me that we would ever get to this point I would have never believed it.
The only flare ups are when the kitten wants to engage the cat in some play, and wanders too close. She gets a scowl, a hiss, maybe even a swat. Both cats then go on their way until the kitten decides to try again....which is often.
Bottom line: we're a two cat household now.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I'm SOO glad you decided to see if they would tolerate each other! As time goes on, the situation will improve. They may not ever LOVE each other, but the hissing and swatting will probably decrease. Congratulations on keeping the kitten!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page