I think I might have to say goodbye to my Bugs. I hope I can get through this post. I don't know where to start but for those who know what happened to Bugs on that "one bad vet" day, you know what a roller coaster ride it's been. Well, about 6 weeks ago, I thought he had inhaled a piece of catnip from one of those cardboard scratchers. It was brand new and I put a bunch of nip on it, and he started having sneezing fits and shaking his head. This went on for about 4 days. My vet went on vacation the day this happened and I didn't know what to do but wait it out the week. Anyways, when I took him in (when vet returned) the Dr couldn't see anything and Bugs wasn't having sneezing fits anymore, but an occasional sneeze. Three days ago Bugs made this sneeze/cough noise in the middle of the night and is doing it quite often now. Of course this had to happen on a weekend so the soonest i can get in is tuesday[that's today, I just noticed it's 2:20am]. But already Bugs is lethargic, doesn't want to be petted, and tries to rub his face on the brush but when it gets to his throat he does that s/c thing. He has always had noisy night breathing, but not like now. He squits one eye and it kinda looks sunk back.
Now the worst part is this town of about 650,000 doesn't have a single specialist!! No CT, no MRI's, not even an Endoscope. I would have to travel over 250 miles and, in addition there is a 2-3 hour delay over the grapevine due to slides. It could be cleaned up by the time I got an appointment through a referrall by my vet
Not to mention MONEY. lots of it!
On Aug 1 of last year Bug's original vet called to tell me labwork results. All excelent and the last comment was "Everything looks very good, we should all be so lucky at his age." We laughed, cause he was around 80 while we're around 50. She was retireing. On my birthday, sept 15 of last year, Bugs suffered injury at the hands of another vet. Now everything is different and difficult.
It's hard enough when your family member is old, sick, tired and near the rainbow. And you know that there will have to be a decsion made, but you also know you've been blessed for having known each other for so many good years. Giving the best of what you knew how was never an option, you just did it. And, you know when there is nothing more you can do to make things better, so you give peace to your friend.
But, how am I to feel about having to put Bug's to rest when I could'nt provide what was medically needed after what someone, who's supposed to be doing what's best, didn't.
If, anyone can help me think of things to ask my vet concerning test, specialist and/or risk of stress, trauma etc. I really am having a hard time even thinking and want to make sure I do what's right. For both of us.
My mother and my daughter are going with me, I could not handle this alone.
Thanks for all the support, then and now,
Oh my gosh, I just read that the grapevine is going to be down to one lane[normally 6] for up to 10 days!! I might as well consider going to UC Davis.