Attacking feet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Attacking feet

My cat attacks my feet a couple of times a day? I was wondering why they do this? any information would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Banned

Hi RustyCat! Welcome to the forum! That's normal behavior for a cat. Why they do it, I don't know exactly. Been wondering myself. Maybe someone who knows will post here.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:25 AM
MA

Is he a male cat? Just curious cuz my male cat a little over a year old does it to me every morning when I get ready to feed him. It's the only cat I've owned that's done that and I thought it was really weird too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:32 AM

They're just eing playfull. it's a moving target! what can you expect
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

yes

Yes...it's a male cat and he's two. I got him from a shelter 2 months ago and I never had a cat before so this is all new to me. I guess he's playing ...he would take his paws and grab my feet and than run away.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Cat Addict

Maybe you could tie a string or something around your ankle so he will attack the string rather than your foot? One of my boy cats does this too...haven't tried the string thing, I just read it somewhere.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 04:00 AM

Yes, he is playing. My male cat used to do this too, until I got Puma and now they play.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 01:34 PM

Oh wow our 6 month old female does the same thing. She chases down our 3 year old since he is more her size, but often she'll attack my feet when I'm going upstairs or walking through the living room.. sometimes it's a surprise attack.. little grey paws darting out from underneath the couch!

In the mornings she is a complete pyscho, she runs the entire length of the house several times, jumping on anything and everything. Her tail flicks and she just looks evil. Afterwards she is completely calm and um.. approachable, except when she is in her cat tree, at which time, any head that strays near becomes her personal play toy.

I suspect this is absolutely normal behavior depending on your cats personality. You might want to engage in more playtime with him since he obviously likes to play. Maybe tie a toy to the end of a string and use that so that the focus is not on your feet. Cats need a fair amount of play time each day, especially when they are young to burn off all that excess energy (and they have a lot of it). Older cats seem to want to sleep more than play which is fine in my books -). You could also tell him NO when he is attacking your feet and stand still until the cat moves away. Stopping any kind of play time is a powerful reprimand to a cat and they'll get the message.

Hope that helps
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:46 AM

i think it's cute... love how my cat hugs my ankle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page