A screech then rolling on the carpet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

A screech then rolling on the carpet

Ok, I've never had a female cat before, so I have no idea how to tell if she is in heat or if this was something random that happened last night. My two cats are neutered males -- one neutered at about 9 months, right after we found him, and the other about 6 months. The female cat we are fostering had babies seven weeks ago, and in the past three weeks or so, we've started letting her out into the house so she hasn't been cooped up. Now all the cats are getting along -- a little too well.

Saturday night, my younger boy cat decided to mount mama kitty in front of my boyfriend and I -- and our company (so embarassing!). I thought it was just a dominance thing and broke it up, but since then, it has happened everyday, several times a day. Last night, while we were eating dinner, all the cats were downstairs, and we heard this really loud scream -- almost like a woman. When we found mama kitty, she was rolling over and over and over and wouldn't stop for a good five minutes. I thought there was something seriously wrong with her! But after that, she was fine and has acted fine since then.

So my questions are, do you think she's in heat? If so, should I just separate them (they can't impregnate her, right?)? What do you think the rolling around was? I thought one of the boys may have bit her, but I'm not sure. Also, I talked to the vet earlier this week and asked about getting her spayed soon, but they said not until her milk dries up. Should I wait it out (I don't know how long I will be able to separate them)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:39 PM

Definitely sounds like she's in heat. My foster kitty Isis came into season when her kittens were 3 weeks old, and never came out of season until I got her speyed when they were 7 weeks old. Did you get her checked out for mastitis in the end?

I would probably seperate her from your males if they are getting frisky with her, neutered or not. Being mounted but not mated is going to be pretty stressful and traumatic for mum, and could induce a phantom pregnancy, which is the last thing you want!

Hopefully, you'll be able to get her speyed ASAP!!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

We checked her out on Monday; she didn't have mastitis, and the swelling had gone down quite a bit by that afternoon, so they suspected it was just from her weaning the kittens. The vet didn't think she was producing milk either, so the kittens must just be suckling and not getting anything.

I called the vet today after the screaming and rolling incident last night, and I've kept her separate from the males today, and the vet said go ahead and have her spayed. We are going in tomorrow, so hopefully she will calm down after this.

Between Mom and kittens, I've dropped $200 at the vet since last Thursday. I don't see how you multiple animal people do it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
could induce a phantom pregnancy, which is the last thing you want
What happens with this?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:20 AM

Varies from cat to cat, in the worst case scenario the cat will show all physical and psychological symptoms of pregnancy, even down to putting on weight and producing milk. It can be very stressful for the cat, not to mention a pain in the butt to you.

Ems
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Wow, that's really crazy -- she is getting spayed right now. I let her out for a little bit last night since she can't handle being locked in a room by herself and cries, and she did the same thing -- screeching and rolling on the floor. It is so weird...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page