consequences of a lost cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

consequences of a lost cat?

hello everyone, i am new to the forum here. my name is anzelina and my cat's name is umlaut. you can see a picture of him below.

anyhow, we got umlaut and his brother as kittens (from a shelter) shortly after i moved back home after college. this was almost two years ago (in may).

we live in the country, so we let the cats outside during the day when it's warm, or just for short times when it's cold, for them to go to the bathroom.

unfortunately, the brother cat got lost or eaten or stolen this past october. we haven't seen him since.

about two months after the loss of his brother, my cat started to pee on the leather couch. he also has been acting weird, he refuses to go to the bathroom outside, he spazzes out sometimes for no apparent reason and speeds around the house, slamming into the doors, he sometimes won't eat unless i watch him eat.

he has peed 3 times with the past month, on the leather sofa, each time on a different cushion. i don't think it's marking (although i have never caught him in the act) because it seems to be a full bladder's worth of urine and he also doesn't mark the same spot.

i am wondering if he may simply be stressed out because of the loss of his brother. would getting another cat help?

my mother wants to restrict him to the basement because she apparently favours dead animal furniture over live animal cuteness. she also refuses to put foil on the couches or to put a litter box anywhere inside, despite my pleas otherwise. by the way the basement is finished, with 5 or more rooms where he is known to sleep.

does anyone have any suggestions?
i need to know :
#1 : how to get cat pee out of leather
#2 : how to treat my cat's problem

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Cool Cat

They make enzyme cleaners that are sold in pet-supply stores to take urine smells out of a variety of materials, though I don't know which ones work best for leather...it'll probably be necessary to remove the foam inserts and clean those, too. Once a cat has urinated somewhere, they'll often continue to "refresh" their scent as long as it's there, so the enzyme cleaner is necessary to remove the smell (even if you can't smell anything, often the cat still can).

Is your cat neutered? That can account for a lot of urine issues in intact male cats (as well as an increased risk of infectious disease if the cat goes outdoors), which may be helped by neutering. Has he been checked by a vet to rule out urinary tract problems? That will also cause inappropriate elimination (and can be fatal to the cat if left untreated). Once a physical problem is ruled out, you may have to break down and install an indoor litterbox for him (or two, or three, whatever works). If the cat wants to urinate in the house, he's going to do it whether there's a litterbox or not. If you provide toilet facilities that are attractive to a cat, he'll be less likely to use the rugs and furniture. Can you talk your mother into putting a litterbox (or two) in the cellar to see if he uses it? If it solves the problem, I'm sure it'll be less disagreeable than having a cat that pees on the couch.

I think that one cat with a peeing problem isn't going to be helped by adding another cat just now...it may make the problem worse by making the resident cat even more territorial. I'd try to work on this problem first before muddying the waters by adding another cat.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips.

i'm going to pick up an enzyme cleaner this afternoon. i removed the foam inserts, and i'll take care of that. but i don't think the cat is marking, because it's always a different cushion he urinates on. at least it will get rid of the smell!

the cat is neutered. i'm going to set up an appointment to take him to the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection.

my mom is extremely adverse to the idea of a litterbox, i'll have a hard time convincing her of one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Cool Cat

Get the vet on your side...seriously, it might help if someone with "authority" makes the suggestion of an indoor litterbox ("some lady on the internet who works in a shelter" just doesn't have the same ring as "the vet said so!" )
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

haha! good point!

i just read at littlebigcat.com that urinary tract infections can occur due to stress from moving, loss of family, et cetera. so i think that my cat is noy peeing because of stress, but might be peeing because of an infection caused by the stress.

progress in solving the riddle!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:35 PM

I love the name Umlaut, is that like the German punctuation? Super-cute kitty!

No advice, sorry. Good luck!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudewife
Get the vet on your side...seriously, it might help if someone with "authority" makes the suggestion of an indoor litterbox ("some lady on the internet who works in a shelter" just doesn't have the same ring as "the vet said so!" )
ah, well we took umlaut to the vet and she suggested a litter box.

it turns out he didn't have a bladder infection, he just was too cold to go to the bathroom outside. now that he uses a litter box we've had no problems, and he's amazingly calm! [ surprise, surprise, right? ]

just thought i'd update.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 10:29 PM

Yay! Sometimes the solution is so simple. He is such a cute kitty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page