Poop out of litter box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Poop out of litter box

I have a 4 months old kitty that I adopted 3 weeks ago. He was very quick to use his litter box until we installed a kitty door on it. I know he knows how to get in and out because I can see him pee in there, but for some reason he started pooping on the floor. I caught him once in the act and I tried to punish him by sticking his nose in there and yelling "bad kitty", but I don't know if this is going to work. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Banned

Re: Poop out of litter box

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocurek
I tried to punish him by sticking his nose in there and yelling "bad kitty", but I don't know if this is going to work.
Yes, you're right. Punishing cats doesn't work.

I think the easiest and cheapest thing to try would be to try taking the door off. Perhaps he doesn't like it. One thing about enclosed litter boxes is they trap smell inside. Cats don't like the smell any more than we do.

Good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:48 PM

I think it might be something related to the litterbox itself. He obviously knows how to use the litterbox correctly, he is just trying to tell you something. He is leaving you a "memo."
Maybe it is too smelly? Maybe it isn't cleaned enough? Maybe try another box somewhere else in the house without a top and door on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for responding. The litter box has a filter on it, and we clean it right after he poops. We know he does it twice a day, 6-7 am and then 10-11 pm, so we always clean it within few minutes. Also, we have a liner undrerneath a litter and we change it along with litter every week. There was only one time when we left the poop there for couple of hours, and I am wondering if that may have triggered this behavior. Maybe he thinks that if he poops there again it will smell but it's still safe to pee in there. But again, he is only 4 months old, so it's like 2yo baby, can he be that smart?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Banned

a 4-month-old cat should already be litter trained. if your cat is doing it outside the box at that age, there must be another reason for it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 06:02 PM

Cats can also develop pickiness for their litter box for no reason at all. One day they will use it fine and the next they will hate it and refuse to poop in it. Bailey was like this and we couldn't figure it out. We added another litter box and our problems were solved! No more messes left for us outside the box!
I think it's probably because of the cat door on the litter box. A lot of cats don't like to feel "trapped" in their boxes. My Sammi was this way when we had a hood on our box, but she was fine when we removed it.
Try taking the door of, if that doesn't work try adding another box, if that doesn't work try changing litters.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 07:53 PM

I vote for ditching the lid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page