Need help using pet door - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Need help using pet door

I just adopted a 1 year old cat who has apparently never used a pet door. Does anyone have advice on teaching him to use the door? He'll go through if I hold it open, but doesn't know how to open it himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:19 PM

He'll learn, once he's comfortable with the idea. Try picking him up and putting him through the door head first, being cautious not to open the door for him. Then coax him to come back through with a treat. He just needs to become used to the flap rubbing over his face as he passes through it. Most of my cats adapted to our old pet door within a few hours after doing this. Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:06 PM

Agree with putting him through the door. Ours is a door that goes from our living area to our utility room (with litter box.) After we showed him how to go through the door a couple of times, we left him in the room with the door closed and the light off. He started poking his head through to the lighted area and coming out to see us. After a week or two, he would go in and out. He also had a door on his litter box. He never got used to that and we had to remove it. He would go in and out...but not "go" inside. Dont know what that was all about!

We also have a cover that blocks the door in case you need to "lock" the kitty door. My husband says when we lock the door, we should always put the cover on the side the cat can see. Otherwise it confuses him and he will stop trying to go through it. I havent had the occasion to do this as we havent used it...but food for thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page