fun in the sandbox - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

fun in the sandbox

I took in a lost cat that a neighbor found and have had him for about 6 months. He seemed to have been well cared for and had been neutered. My vet says he is about 2-5 years old. He is very friendly and has adjusted well to his new home. He does not like to go outdoors. The problem is that he spends a great deal of time in his litter box. (I am thankful though that he uses it) After each use he spends atleast 10-20 minutes digging and scratching in the litter. There is sand everywhere! And then the poop gets stuck on his feet since he has been trampling it so long and he drags that everywhere. Why does he do this? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 03:25 PM

litter box obsession

I don't know what you have tried so far, but the absolutely first thing I would do is take him to the vet and make sure he has no intestinal parasites or urinary elimination problems, such as infection or bladder crystals.

Next I would consider changing his litter (clumping to non-clumping or vice-versa). Add a second box next to the first and see if he has a preference. You can also experiment with texture. Some cats prefer a finer or more coarse sand. He may feel that a larger, non-clumping litter is not covering to his satisfaction. Unfortunately the litter choice is up to the cat, not us. He also may prefer a hooded or deeper box...I don't know what you currently use.

I have a cat that as a kitten would run into the box whenever another cat left to recover the poop to his own satisfaction - fortunately he has grown out of that habit!

Whatever you do, don't discourage or distract his compulsion. Like you said, at least he's using the box!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Banned

Dittoes for experimenting with different litter and more boxes. And there are things that you can do to cut down on the tracking. Basically you need to get him to walk on something that will spread his toes and cause the granules to fall out and get trapped before they get carried to the rest of the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

fun in the sandbox

thanks I'll try all of those ideas. right now i use a multicat litter that is clumping. I'm thinking of trying one of those litter boxes that cleans automatically. Has anyone tried these? I don't want to scare him.

I think a visit to the vet is in order, since she didn't do any tests for parasites at his first visit

I also have an 11 year old cat that has lived with us for the last 9 years. (ran away from her home a block away and refused to go back has lived here ever since) she has only used a litter box when the snow is too high to go out so we haven't had much litter box experience.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Banned

Many people like the automatic boxes. But some cats don't like them. Since they're really expensive, I'd suggest you stay simple until you find out what your cat likes. Then there's less risk of you wasting your money only to find out your cat won't use it. Also, the automatic boxes require clumping litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page