Playing with "stuff" from litter box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Playing with "stuff" from litter box

Hi, I just got 2 kitties in December. They are sisters (Dot and Dash) and are 3 months old now. I have lots of toys for them to keep them out of trouble, but it's not working. Dash likes to jump in the litter box and scrounge around for a lump of poop, drag it out and then they both start batting it around. I did have their litter box close to their play area so moved it to a quiet place. Didn't help. I clean the litter box morning and nicht. Still doesn't work. Then I made the litter box a little smaller so they would only use it and not play in it. Didn't work. They don't appear to want to eat it, but just playing with it is not good. Especially when they get a chunck that is not quite dry - and then I stepped on it. Yuk! HELP ME!

Thanks for any and all suggestions,
Judi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Banned

Hi Judi, welcome to the forum!

Have your cats been playing with the toys you got them?

Also, I was wondering if YOU play with them, using interactive cat toys? (feathers on a string on a wand, stuff like that).

Meantime, you should stop this behavior whenever you come across it by removing the cat from the box. Don't punish the cat; that won't work. Just stop them and divert them into doing something else.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

I do play with them. And they seem to play all the time, that is unless they are sleeping and eating. Dash is the one that is into everything - always looking to get into something - a very curious kitty for sure. Will try to play with them a little more and see if that helps.

Thanks for answering,
Judi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Banned

Judi, keep watching this space. I don't really have a clue how to deal with this, I was just trying to ask some relevant questions. This is kind of a slow time on the forum, and someone else with a better idea might come along later and read your post.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 08:17 PM

Dot and Dash are darling names! I'm sure they'll settle down a little when they get older. You might try giving them a little ball (ping pong balls work great) every time you see them playing this "game". Hopefully they will get the hint and play with toys and not poops. Silly kitties!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:15 PM

my cat likes to "play in the sandbox" also (he justs stays in and plays though; doesn't take stuff out) if the behavior doesn't stop and/or gets worse maybe you could try an automatic cleaning litter box. That way after every use it would automatically scoop and voila no more "toys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page