16 year old keeping us awake at nite - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

16 year old keeping us awake at nite

Dear All,

In early Oct last year, we lost our 14 year old cat. Since then, her companion - our 16 year old gal has been keeping us awake during the nites with her near-incessant meowing. She would call us when she wants a bite (of her dry food which is within her reach) or when she wants to use the litter box or some company. There would also be times when she'll called out loud while she's in the living room or in the kitchen. (BTW, she used to be the quieter one of my two cats.)

Her calls are pretty loud and cannot be ignored as this will wake up our neigbours.

We had brought her to the vet who advised that she might be feeling depressed over the loss of my other cat. She has liver problem although bloodworks indicated that values have returned to the normal range now. She has grown thinner since last Oct although she's still eating pretty well. BTW she's on k/d dry diet and some other canned food.

What could be the cause of her incessant calling at nites? Just the loss of my other cat? Can anyone share their experience on how to deal with such abnormalities, please? Can aromatherapy help with such situations?

Thanks!
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Cool Cat

My first question is: did your vet check her thyroid? Weight loss (without a corresponding appetite loss) and crying at night can both be symptoms of hyperthyroidism, which isn't uncommon in older cats. That would be the first thing I'd rule out, just based on your description.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yup, the vet checked and confirmed that she does not have problems with her thyroid.

Other than her calls at nite and her weight loss, she appeared to be alright, although not as alert as before.

Anything else which we could have missed out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Cool Cat

Okay...well, once you figure out all the things it isn't, you're that much closer to figuring out what it is. Sometimes a cat whose hearing is compromised starts to meow louder because she can't really hear herself talk as well anymore...this could be related to her seeming "less alert," as well. Likewise, I've met a few cats who's lost some or all of their sight, who cried when they were disoriented (heck, my cat cries if her nightlight is out because she's afraid of the dark )...so I guess I'd look at those things next. Usually "senility" is diagnosed as a reason for crying when nothing else can be figured out, but I'd be looking at hearing, vision, and bereavement first.

Try http://www.spiritessence.com/ for more information on flower essences...they do consultations, and might be able to suggest something more specific.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the quick reply.

You've got a point there about her vision and hearing.

I'll arrange for some lights for her this evening and hope this helps.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page