Who's doing what to whom???? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Who's doing what to whom????

Poor Magic, my sheltie gets scolded for chasing the cats, well yesterday I happened to look up as Bailey-Jane came into the living room. She plopped down next to Magic (who was resting peacefully) and proceeded to wrap her two front paws around Magic's front leg and then tried to bite a chunk out of her leg! Of course Magic jerked her leg away and Bailey-Jane bounded away and the chase was on! Are we normal or what??? We've seen Magic with them down on their backs with her mouth around their necks but she never bites down. Now I'm wondering how much the cats are instigating this activity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Senior Cat

To be honest, this sounds like normal play. It seems that they are getting along fairly well (as best as can be told from this post) and like to play together. As long as there is no bleeding, then that's all this is.

My dad had a dog and cat that would play like this when he was a kid.

Sounds like you have a good thing going...enjoy it!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
All of my collies were friendly with my cats. And there was no doubt about who was the boss. The poor collie would stand still, with a "What can I do?" look on his face while kittens climbed his legs, wrapped their whole bodies around them, and climbed his tail. I can't guarantee that there would never be an accident, of course, but my collies never fought back, not even for fun. They just acted as parents and sometimes, as referees!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Magic never seems to hurt them. I believe they could get away if they really wanted to. She just makes them wet around their throats with her mouth.

P.S. I've stopped scolding Magic!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Cool Cat

I remember when we had Scamp the Senior Sheltie here, Assumpta used to beat the living snot out of him. He would be so respectful, never went near her, if he was lying down and she walked by, he'd turn his head and avert his eyes (he'd lived with cats before)...and she'd still follow him around the house hissing and whack him across the nose every time he laid down...and she'd whack him HARD, too, not just a tease tap. She even started trying to go into his room to get at him (gated off). He never even so much as yelped, or growled, or anything, but the cat got so bad that we decided that the dog should go live next door with our neighbors (collie people).

But Jeanie (if you remember Scamp's story at all)...now that he's on meds for his thyroid and arthritis (and down to about 35 pounds from 54), he has turned into quite the little hyperactive (and flighty) manipulator, and a wicked bossyboots...a real handful.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Premier Cat

I do remember! Well, that little rascal has certainly changed, hasn't he?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 05:53 PM

Oh yes, my dog and cat play like this.

The cat normally does this when he feels like the dog isn't paying any attention to him. I do believe he does bite down hard.

The other funny thing our cat does is when the dog is walking down the hallway and the cat is going the opposite way, he will jump on the dogs back and keep right on running jumping off her rump!
He does it so fast that the dog just kind of looks back a little confused.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:33 PM
Premier Cat

I can picture it!

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page