Depressed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Depressed

Can cats get depressed? signs and what to do about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:02 AM

I don't know if they can actually get depressed, but I have noticed my cats have bad days like the rest of us.

I find this especially with Bumper. Some days he will just lie in one place all day and won't move off my bed, I actually have to go and drag him off it and give him cuddles at which point he usually just goes to sleep in my arms. I try to play with him and he will just yawn and go back to sleep or just sit there with a far away look in his eyes.

Other days he just drives me mad playing and screeching and being his usual dopey Baby Bump Bump self (like last night when he decided it was play time at 1am).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:58 PM

Yes, cats can suffer from depression, but usually because they feel unwell or under the weather. General lethargy, lack of appetite, unusual quietness/dullness can all be associated with it. But if your cat is showing any of these symptoms, it should be seen by a vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Kitten

Definitely. Bad days aside, they would be depressed over the loss of a companion or their kid or when some one from the family is not around.

Whenever I goes on a holiday, my pet would mopped around, hardly eat and drink and leave her toilet business to the last hour of the day. It was always depressing for me whenever I called from overseas to check on her and got all this feedback.

Same with my other cat who's closer to my Mum. Whenever my Mum is away, she would show the same symptons PLUS crying loudly from room to room.

I'm one of the caregivers for the strays and noticed that whenever a kitten goes missing, the mummy will become very lethargic if she can't find her kid after searching for a few days.

Yes, cats do get depressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page