midnight crazies? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

midnight crazies?

My two year old cat is keeping me up at night. He is scratching the mattress, the couch and meowing over and over again. If I shut the door he claws at the door which cannot happen because I live in an apartment and the doors are not mine. I've tried everything. My cat doesn't sleep between 5(when I get home) and 10 or later, when I go to bed. I feed him right around bedtime. I play with him often. We use mice, feathers, etc. We've tried putting him in a room by himself but he was so loud I thought he'd wake the neighbors. I don't know what to do and getting another cat is out of the question. Any ideas? This lack of sleep is killing me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Senior Cat

Ok, I know what your going through cause I had the same problem.

You've got to tucker him out at the appropriate time to get him to sleep instead of play. Start off with not letting him sleep at all in the evening and playing with him really hard just before bed. Get Da' Bird or some other toy on a string and really wear him out. He'll be so tired he'll sleep longer that night. Keep doing this every night for a while, and he'll get used to a new sleep routine. After a week or so, let him take short naps in the evening, but still play him to exhaustion before bed for a night. See how long he sleeps, and hopefully it's working. This process takes a while to work without you doing anything, but in the end, you will have your nights the way ou want them.

(It took me a month and a half)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 02:13 PM

I think a snack before bedtime is good, but feeding your cat an actual meal before bedtime may be inviting him to stay awake for longer.

Also, is your cat neutered? He might be just desperate looking for a female to mate, behavior that can be significantly reduced, if not removed in full, by having your cat fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:01 PM

I agree with Celeb. I had this same problem with both of my kitties, currently still with Puma because she discovered the area underneath my new bed.

So the best advice is to play with your cat to tucker him out. I would play with him after you feed him, as cats tend to frisky before they are fed and after they eat. You mentioned your cat doesn't sleep between 5-10 but does he sleep after that? I don't know that confused me.

But I would just try what Celeb suggested. Good luck
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:09 PM

It is tough for a while, but it will get better. Your kitty will eventually figure out that sleeping time is for sleeping!

Kiera is a lot better now. When I go to bed, she usually purrs and sniffs and rubs all around me for attention, but will eventually curl up on a ball next to me and go to sleep. Sometimes in the morning she'll go about her business, look around, play, wahtever, but she'll realize i'm out of comission.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Banned

The routine is the important part of the advice. Cats are creatures of habit. They like a routine. So be consistent. Once you get your cat into the routine of being quiet at night, it'll be OK. In the meantime, tape some cardboard to your door to save the finish and invest in earplugs to get your sleep. And hope the neighbors don't complain.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebsilmare
Ok, I know what your going through cause I had the same problem.

You've got to tucker him out at the appropriate time to get him to sleep instead of play. Start off with not letting him sleep at all in the evening and playing with him really hard just before bed. Get Da' Bird or some other toy on a string and really wear him out. He'll be so tired he'll sleep longer that night. Keep doing this every night for a while, and he'll get used to a new sleep routine. After a week or so, let him take short naps in the evening, but still play him to exhaustion before bed for a night. See how long he sleeps, and hopefully it's working. This process takes a while to work without you doing anything, but in the end, you will have your nights the way ou want them.

(It took me a month and a half)

Thanks for the suggestions. I play with him every night but I think he's so set in his ways that he only wants to play for a short time. I'll work harder tonight and get his attention and keep him active. Someone mentioned that eating right before bed was a bad idea? When do you guys feed your pets? I heard that one should feed their cat right before bed because it's more natural, hunt, feast and sleep. One thing that I thought of today was that I recently changed his food to something that he didn't like and that's when his night time behaviour increased. I've since changed it back to something else that he does like but that was only yesterday.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Cat Addict

Do you think he'd play with one of those Panic Mouse toys? Turning it on when you go to bed and let him play with it by himself for awhile? At least he won't be crying in the night if something else is distracting him...

Also, does he like looking out the window? Maybe set something up where he can stare out the window for awhile -- I keep most of the blinds up in the house, so the cats have several places where they can check out the scenery. When the weather's nice and the windows are up, mine will sit for hours and watch the world go by. It does help that we have pidgeons (yuck!) living on our roof, and they can watch them flying around.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Senior Cat

Da' Bird is a great attention getting toy. It moves like a bird so it's hard for cats to not notice and follow it. Any toys on a string are good for long game periods in my house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page