cat started peeing on beds - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

cat started peeing on beds

We have a new (1 month living with us) 6 month old male cat. He has the best personality. He is neutered and not declawed. He is our only current roaming pet. However, we have had cats previously in this house...but not for some time. We also recently changed to a new cat food.

He has starting peeing on the beds in the house. We thought originally it might be because he got stuck in a room or something. But he keeps doing it and has christened almost all of our beds. (He also pees in the litter box also and doesnt have a problem with doing "other things" in the litter box.) It isnt like a spray either...it is a serious pee of pretty impressive quantity! We cannot afford to constantly replace the mattresses in the house obviously. And cleaning the mess doesnt seem to help - maybe because you cant actually clean down in the depths of the mattress. It is really grossing us out.

We are keeping the bedroom doors closed when we are not home, as that seems to be when it has happened previously. But tonite he did it with us
at home. We have relatively new (expensive - sigh) furniture and are afraid he will begin peeing on the furniture. My husband has said he will have to go if that happens. I havent seen the vet yet to see if it is a urinary tract infection but am guessing it is not since he seems to be choosing to pee in specific places and there is a large quantity and he doesnt seem to be feeling poorly. Of course I will take him to the vet, but I need help too! What can we do to correct this behaviour problem if there is no urinary infection? I understand what causes cats to go back to places they have gone before, but what is causing him to pee elsewhere to begin with? I am sure there is stress associated with him moving in with us. But you would think that would dissipate over time and things would become less stressful and he would go back to using the litter box.

I have noticed his stool is very strong smelling lately as well as his breath. So much so that it stinks up the whole house using the bathroom or even just playing by us. We had changed him to Eukenuba for kittens recently thinking it would be nutritionally better for him than rice/corn based food...maybe the whole thing is his food. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 03:42 AM

Well he may need a vet check just to make sure there is nothing wrong health wise. But once he has done this no matter if it is washed or not the smell will still kindof be there, which may cause a repeat.

How is the kitty litter? Maybe he doesn't like where it is, or the type it is, or it may be dirty. etc...

But first I would take him into the vet.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Banned

Be sure to clean EVERY spot he pees on EVERY time he does it with a cat urine enzymatic cleaner, not a household cleaner, it won't get the smell out even if it looks clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Senior Cat

Everyone else gave good advice on the pee thing.

As far as his BM and Breath, I noticed any time I made a change to my kittens food, these 2 things stank for about a week. When I first brought her home, she hadn't had kitten fod, ever, so I put her on that. Then When I started weening her off of it onto adult food, it happened again. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but it seemed to make sense to me.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 06:32 PM

You need to FIRMLY let him know that that is the absolute wrong spot to pee. Or you will always have problems, it will become a firmly ingrained habit.

Try getting those Cat pads which cats can pee on in the house, as a last resort, if s/he refuses to pee in the litter box. Make her understand when shes still young.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscatzy
when we had cleaned away the pee we poured out white pepper over the area. So everywhere he peed we poured out pepper.
I'm sure this works, but I don't think it's a very good idea. This causes physical discomfort. There are other ways to deal with this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 09:14 PM

Yeah I agree with Tim. I put foil on the beds, it worked well. Cats hate the noise among other things. Try foil but not pepper...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:58 PM
Cat Addict

Could you put out a few more litter boxes? Maybe he has a hard time remembering where to go. Or maybe he doesn't like the box -- try taking off the hood if it has one or moving it to a place he feels more secure, like in the bedroom or a bathroom.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Senior Cat

You could also try Cat Attract Litter.http://www.preciouscat.com

I love it. My cats have been behavong so much better since I switched. There are also good articles on the site about different things you can to about location, depth of litter, type of box etc.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 07:29 AM

Our one boy has started peeing on my bed. But i"m positive he does it because he wants to go outside, and I usually forget to let him out when I get up.

Still it pisses me off.

I've started shutting my door. But I forgot this morning. This time it went thorugh the pillow top to the mattress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page