Very timid kitty! Please help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Very timid kitty! Please help!

I was reading the post about "Bringing Sully Home" and had to start my own thread because my reply got really long and I didn't want to hijack it!

I really really need help with this. Okay I am having the exact same problem as Sully with my cat Moxie. We adopted her, and her info said the family found her, and she lived in a home with lots of other cats and dogs. When she came to us, she hid under the bed for 4 whole months. I even put food and water under there because I was afraid she might starve!

It's been 2 years now and she walks around the house, but she still spends most of her time under the bed. She is VERY affectionate in the morning and at night (in bed, always). During the day if I'm on the computer she'll jump up in my lap, make cookies, then get down (thanks, I needed that!) Occaisionally she'll sit and stare at the wall, or sit and stare at me (am I just about as exciting to look at as a wall?)

When we first got her, she had some pretty bad litter problems, but we got that cleared up, and she seems to get along fine with Tyrus, but it seems as though their playtime gets a bit rough from time to time.

What gets to me is this: She's afraid of EVERYTHING! I don't know if she was abused or something before we got her, but it's really starting to get to me - it's been 2 years! She's gotten a lot better when people are over, but sometimes when we walk by, she freaks out and runs! Or, if she's on the bed, sometimes we walk in and she runs under. What the heck??

Another thing she does is she'll meow (or squeak - she's a Maine Coon), then when I go to follow her to pet her or pick her up (which she hates), she coyly walks away, just a little quicker than me, but keeps looking back as if she wants me to follow her. She goes all the way into the bedroom, then goes under the bed again.

A few days ago my fiance and I got so sick of her hiding that we decided to keep the bedroom door shut. I am acutely aware of her comfort level, and I don't want to stress her out. I know she feels safe under the bed, but I wonder if her being under there all the time is hindering her getting used to us? If she's just grown used to going under there, like a habit? I know adjustment to a new family may be slow, but 2 years?? We're very sweet and loving with her and we're pretty laid back people, so I don't think we freak her out at all.

The first day of us keeping the door closed she kind of sat by it, waiting for us to open it. The next day she kind of hung out on the cat tree, and popped her head around the corner every time she heard us open the door. We let her in there at night and she sleeps with us like always, but today was the third day we kept the door closed. I can't tell if she's making progress or not. Am I doing the right thing by keeping her out of the bedroom? Please let me know, I don't want her to be afraid of us, and I don't know what else to do!

Thanks,

Amber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Banned

It sounds to me like you're handling this very well. Don't be so critical of yourself. I think she's making progress. Yes, it's not what you'd like to see, but take what you get. Make her times when she approaches you as pleasant as can be for her, and gradually she'll come back for more when she's ready.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Do you think I am streesing her out for no reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Banned

No, not so long as she has another place of refuge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page