My cat is misbehaving - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

My cat is misbehaving

My cat, or kitten soon to become a full grown cat, has always had a bit of a wild hair. Meaning, we played with him or as we called it roughed him up and let him go and he would sort of attack us when he was a kitten.
We thought it was funny, and he seemed to enjoy it. Now, he is 8 months old and getting big and of course its not fun for him to attack us.
At first I thought he was just playing but now he seems to do it out of meanness. This cat takes a spell that when he wants down he either bites or throws a scratching fit and we drop him. But, now, he is hiding around the corner, humping up his back and acting like he is going to jump at me. Tonight he actually did this, then jumped out with his paw at my legs. Usually he goes on but he continued to act like he wanted to scratch me when I reached for him, so I just went outside while he cooled off.

The only thing I did was walk outside with him and I guess he got excited when I did that. I could feel his heart race when we were standing outside the front door.

I just don't want him to eventually scratch the daylights out of my child or me either. Should I be concerned with this type of cat behavior, because I have had many cats in my life, and never had one act like this.

We are very good to him. He is treated very well, so there is no reason for him to behave this way, other than, we played with him wildly when he was a kitten. He was an extremely playful cat. More playful than any I've ever had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 08:07 PM

is he neutered? if not, you should deffinately get him altered. unaltered males can be very agressive and excitable and neutering should calm him down considerably. if he already is neutered, then i don't know. someone else with more expirience will tell you more.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

No he isn't yet. I had actually planned on having that done when they de claw him. They said they could do it at the same time, and will remove his front two paws only.

So that's probably what is wrong with him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 08:15 PM

DO NOT DECLAW!!! it's very inhumane. they remove the whole first knuckle of each toe and the cat is in extreme pain for weeks afterwards. it is just a miserable and inhumane practice. please consider an alternative, such as trimming his nails or soft paws. they are small vynil caps that are glued onto each claw. they last 3-4 weeks before falling off and you simply glue a new one on. www.softpaws.com
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

well thanks for your opinion.

I've already discussed the practice with the vet and they told me what they do and how the cat feels. I appreciate your concern.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Banned

the only thing wrong with the cat is that he learned at an early age that it was OK to treat humans the same as other cats. you recognize that was a mistake but didn't realize it at the time. lots of people think it's cute at the time but don't stop to consider what this behavior will be like when the cat is full size! it's difficult to unlearn this behavior, but can still be done with persistence and consistency. I suggest you research cat behavior articles online. one of my favorite sites with a number of excellent articles is http://www.littlebigcat.com. good luck!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. You're right, we did think it was fun and cute, watching him "play" back with us. I feel bad for doing it now. But, as you said, it was so cute. This cat was just so playful. My son and I have grown so attached to him, it is hard to accept it when he gets mad at us and bites us, etc.

For the person above, I didn't have much time last night to answer you well. I really don't want to have the cat declawed. But, we just closed on a new home, and moved in. My husband spent a lot of money on new furniture for our living room. He said the only way we can keep the cat is to have him declawed. I checked with the vet and they said they would only remove the front two paws. Not the back ones. I hate to do this, but, we love our kitty, and it's the only way we can keep him! You may suggest giving him away, but, who's to say the person who took him wouldn't put him outside, etc. We love our cat very much. He is very well taken care of. He has a good home. I just want to do the right thing, and in our circumstance, this is the right thing. I am sorry if I have offended anyone by chosing to do this. He is a young cat, and never been outside, so the vet said he should be able to adjust to losing the paws.

Thanks again for you guys helping me out with great advice!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 12:51 PM

show your husband the soft paws and ask if he would accept those as a good alternative. you can also post-train the cat. you can take a piece of raw wood, about 8" wide and 2-3 feet long and wrap it with scisal rope and attach it to a wall or a post somewhere inconspicuous and out of the way and train the cat to ONLY scratch there. maybe just use the soft paws until he's trained. the last house we lived in, we had this one post in the kitchen that was raw wood (the whole house was a fixer-upper) and all the cats (we had several at the time) would ONLY scratch on that post. they never touched our furniture or any other post. well, they would scratch on the carpet of the cat tree, but that was ok. you can even try rubbing some catnip into the scisal rope to make it more inticing to him. i'd say use the soft paws until he's trained to the post. whenever you see him attempting to scratch furniture or carpet (which he won't be able to do with the soft paws) just scold him, then pick him up and take him to the post and take his two front paws and kind of run them down the post you want him to scratch on. he'll get the idea pretty quick.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

I will try it, thanks for the advice.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 01:29 PM

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... how&item=1

that's a great article about different ways to post train your cat, as well as soft paws. it also talks about declawing and how it can cause other behavioral problems, such as urinating and deficating in unwanted areas and increased agression. many other countries condemn declawing and some have even made it illegal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page