I need Help..... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I need Help.....

Hi there, I am new here and I need someones help. Here is my situation

I have 2 cats, 1 (Prints) who is 2yrs old, and 1 (torrie) who is a year old. Well now the way things are is Prints is getting more and more agressive as of late, as well as Prints continuously eats, he is like a bottomless pit, I give him his food, and I give Torrie Her food, however as soon as Prints is done, he goes right over to Torrie`s dish and begins to eat her food, this is a forever growing problem, and I was wondering if someone here could help to try and figure out as to why he does this, as well as if there is a way to curve him away from doing this at all.....

Please help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I can't offer much help about his aggression, but a definate easy solution for him eating his food is to feed them in different rooms. That way, you can keep a close eye on how much they each eat (in case one starts to get a little pudgy, you know to cut back) and it might help resolve some of the aggression issues.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Cool Cat

Supposedly there are certain medical problems that can arise that manifest themselves in eating more, with or without gain of weight. Of course, you have to remember that cats can continue to grow for up to 5 years.

spike481
Herdmaster of 16 Cats & 1 Dog

"Ever tried to herd cats?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Banned

Could you fill us in on how long you've had each of these cats and where they came from before that?

As far as the food issue, it's pretty usual for a boy cat to "take over" a girl cat's food dish. It's pretty funny watching them swap dishes over and over. I suppose this is kinda frustrating for the girl cat. If you need to feed them different foods or different sized servings, or simply if you don't like the situation, about all you can do is either stand guard over them during their meal, or separate them in different rooms.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 03:43 PM

We have supervised mealtimes here. I stand guard and play goalie. Pixie and Ginza inhale their food, while Mozart and Kayla eat at a very leisurely pace, so the 2 brats are always done way before the others, and try to eat their plates too. Pixie is especially aggressive and persistent. Over a year now, and she'll still try to sneak by my foot, but only half-heartedly now.

Other advantages of supervising their meals are that I can check their appetite, and any other (potential) problems.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 03:52 PM

Yeah, the old "I'm sure yours tastes better than mine"..my 3 have three bowls one for each though of course the all want the others so that cat on the left ends up being cat on the right and so on..I too have a bottomless pit (girl), 1 light eater (boy) and 1 "hmmm, I'll think about it and let you know if I'll touch it" (girl).
So I feed the the first two together and the slow eater separate..and several times a day in small quantities..it has happened that sometimes the gluttoness has thrown up she has eaten so much plus I don't want her to become obese..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys

I've had these cats since they were kittens. The male, the older one, was from a litter of strays found by a friend of mine and the female was from the SPCA.
I tried suppervising their meals tonight and it whent well. The male still ate his dish and then when on to hers but there was hardly anything left in it at that time so... I'll keep watching them at meal time...and nap time and playing time hehehe How can I not
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalie
I too have a bottomless pit (girl), 1 light eater (boy) and 1 "hmmm, I'll think about it and let you know if I'll touch it" (girl).

I think we have the same cats! I feed the girls together and if Tasha feels like being picky that day I have to take her food away so Angel won't eat it all. I have to feed her at a later time when Angel isn't around. Sully our boy is a light eater with a different time schedule. I have to leave food out when I go to bed for him, somewhere where the girls can't find it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 02:09 PM

is the male neutered? if not, that would help a lot with agression, otherwise, i have no idea. also, what are you feeding them?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Yes the male is neutered and the other one is fixed. I was feeding him technical light and technical kitten for the female but recently i changed for Propack adult for both of them. Now that the female is not a kitten anymore, they can eat the same thing! It's much easier for me that way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page