Hides from me, hates her meds - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hides from me, hates her meds

My 8 month old kitten, Sophie has severe diarrhea and for some time I have had her on meds. She's on her third kind of med so for over a month I have had to shove either a liquid or pill down her throat twice a day. I think we are finally seeing improvement but she is not as affectionate towards me as before. When this is all over (soon i pray) will she ever return to the loving cat she once was? Is there anything I can do to help regain her trust and love?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 04:37 PM
Banned

oh, I'm sure she will once the meds are over. just keep showing her love and affection and make sure she has reason to trust you.

is this a kind of medicine that you can mix in with wet food? that way you can sneak it in without having to fight her to take it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Cool Cat

Yes, they do return to normal. Assumpta is very easily upset, especially by things like medications, and it tales her a week or so to really get over a period of meds, or something like friends visiting with a dog. Sophie's not feeling good, plus she's getting medicated twice a day...I'd be pretty putzy too, if I was a cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

cat hides from me, hates her meds

I would love to put her meds in wet food the only prob is she is on a diet of:white rice,cottage & lowfat cream cheese,and plain yogurt for 5 days. Only problem is she does'nt really want to eat any of it! Help!!!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Banned

I'm wondering about that diet....would you mind telling us who put her on it?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 05:49 PM

that's an awful diet for a cat! did your vet reccomend it? cats are carnivores. they need meat and certain proteins found in meat. they literally cannot live without them. also, processed milk products are very hard for cats (and people) to digest and should only be given in very small mounts (or not at all) yoghurt is alright because it has live active cultures which help break it down. not to mention that white rice has NO nutritional value whatsoever and people shouldn't even eat it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

hides from me,hates her meds

Her vet put her on this diet yesterday and she's to stay on it until Sat. of next week. He said her stomach needs to settle down. I've added cooked chicken which (thank god) she's eating.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Cool Cat

Boiled white rice is just fine as a part of a temporarily bland diet for irritated intestines. It has good binding properties and little or no fiber to further irritate the gut (I actually use Minute rice for this purpose because it's so devoid of fiber...I have a box in the cupboard with "CATS ONLY" written on it). If this is a vet-prescribed diet, see if it's possible to add in some boiled skinless chicken breast. You can either mash it into the rice or chunk it up. Those two foods saved my butt when Assumpta stopped eating. The rice is fine, but if it's allowed, you might find that the boiled chicken mixed in makes her a more enthusiastic eater. No matter how bland and easy on the intestines, it's not going to do her any good if she won't eat it.

I've used a bit of cottage cheese successfully on other cats who didn't feel like eating because of diarrhea (some cats enjoy it, though not mine), and plain yogurt is good to help restore intestinal balance. Cream cheese can make a good "pill wrapper," as well.

But the cat has to eat. If she's not eating the bland diet as prescribed, call the vet and ask if you can add in the boiled chicken breast to tempt her to eat (tip: if you mash it into the rice, she won't just eat around the rice).

Oh, and if she's not eating well, don't put meds in her food or give them around mealtime, as it will just further a food aversion (Assumpta stopped eating because she associated the diarrhea and nausea with her food instead of with the antibiotic that was causing it). It's important that she eat, so don't do anything that will make her averse to her food and bowl. I ended up lying on the floor hand-feeding Assumpta little balls of boiled rice and chicken for almost a week before she started eating normally again.

Edited to add: Never mind, I see you've already added the chicken.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Cool Cat

militant.....oops, did I say that out loud?

spike481
Herdmaster of 16 Cats & 1 Dog

"Ever tried to herd cats?"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike481
militant.....oops, did I say that out loud?
"militant"

2 entries found for militant.
mil·i·tant ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ml-tnt)
adj.
Fighting or warring.
Having a combative character; aggressive, especially in the service of a cause: a militant political activist.

n.
A fighting, warring, or aggressive person or party.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin mlitns, mlitant- present participle of mlitre, to serve as a soldier. See militate.]

I'm confused by this remark? Did we miss something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page