Cat wont stay off furniture!! HELP! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Cat wont stay off furniture!! HELP!

My husband and I let our cats go just about anywhere in the house. They are allowed to sleep on any of the couches, except a new one that we recently got. No animals allowed on that one. Our dog stays off, our other kitty stays off, but our cat, Jose, insists that it is his spot.
We taught the cats to stay off the table by giving them a few squirts with a squirt bottle. It worked perfectly....they don't get on the table. We tried the squirt bottle with Jose, when he got on the couch, but every time we return to the house, we see him flying off of the "No animal couch" and around the corner.
My husband is getting more and more angry because it is quite obvious that Jose knows that he isn't to be on this couch. I don't want my husband to get a shock collar or to close him in a room while we are gone. So please help us!! Any advice would be wonderful!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much!!
Lindsey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Banned

Cats don't differentiate between one piece of furniture and another when it comes to a no-go area. Jose only knows that you are unhappy when he goes on that couch, and he might get a squirt, so he only does it when you can't see him and will vacate the spot when he sees you coming or the squirt bottle coming out. When you're gone, he'll do what he wants to do. For that matter, the other cat is probably up there, too, and you just haven't caught him. Or maybe he's just staying off because he feels like humoring you. OK, that last was a joke!!

Sorry, but the only way to deter a cat from going on furniture ALL the time is to make it unpleasant for them to be there ALL the time, even when your back is turned or you are gone.

Try searching the forum and the internet for posts and articles on cat deterrents, behavior modification, stuff like that.

BTW, putting him in a room while you are gone, as long as he has all he needs in there, plus the company of the other cat, would not be cruel at all.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the input! I have been a "cat person' all my life, but sometimes I don't feel like I know them at all! Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianlion
sometimes I don't feel like I know them at all!
don't feel bad....everybody who has cats says the same thing!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Premier Cat

Ain't that the truth!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 01:11 AM

Well, I suggest putting foil on the couch that they are not allowed to use. Especially when you guys leave the house, just make sure the couch is well covered with the foil and I gurantee they will not like the new couch anymore.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Banned

that works as long as the foil is on the couch. it stops working when the humans get tired of applying and removing the foil multiple times per day.

then again maybe this cat Jose is like my Tommy - absolutely fearless and strongwilled - nothing, and I mean I've tried everything, absolutely nothing short of an impervious physical barrier stops him from going where he really wants to go
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 10:11 AM

I cant take it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 02:12 PM

what is it they don't like about foil?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:08 AM

I don't know why some cats don't like foil...It could be because when they move it makes a sound or because it is not something they really want to lay on.

I am sure this won't work for all cats but it does work for some...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page