Cats eating paper? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cats eating paper?

As part of our exquisite collection of cat toys (bags, boxes, kitchen roll tubes, feathers-on-a-string), we have a paper bag which is just a little bit too small for Dory. Naturally she loves the crinkling sound and the effort it takes to try to get into it. But sometimes she just sits on it and knaws a corner of the bag, either tearing off little strips or just shredding it. I'm not so bothered by that - it's keeping her entertained. What concerns me is that she might be eating some of these paper bits and we're not seeing her do it. I know paper is fundamentally biodegradable but is it
(a) "normal" for a cat to do this and...
(b) "safe" for her if she is chewing on the pieces and eating some?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Banned

(a) yes
(b) if the pieces are small and not too many, I wouldn't worry about it. uncoated paper is pretty digestible, but if it's coated, printed, etc., the coatings and inks may be hazardous.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:46 PM

We recently bought a "cat tree" from Wal-Mart (the kind that reach the ceiling...) My 2 kittens LOVE it, but they really love the box it came in, too! They hide in it, go through the little hole (it had a hole to show the color of the carpet on the "tree") and just have a blast. And Jager loves to tear pieces of the cardboard off, mostly leaving them scattered around the box for me to take care of. Then 2 days ago he started tearing up the toilet paper on the roll. He came to me, proud of his game, I'm sure, with tp in his mouth this morning, but wasn't trying to eat it. So your cat is "normal", in my opinion! \
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:54 PM

My calico does this. Since she seems only to squeak and squawk, I have decided it is her way of communicating. Specifically, communicating that she is hungry. My other cat is a noisy cat who makes lots of weird noises, especially when he is hungry.

They have two tactics... one is to jump up on the desk I'm at or onto the couch and pay an unusual amount of attention to me. The other one is lots of weird noises from the noisemaker and finding any nearby piece of paper or cardboard and shred it by the calico, looking up at me every few seconds to see if I have reacted yet.

The shredder cat also has a fondness of small pieces of paper as toys. They rank second only to pieces of grape branches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page