A good cat motivator - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

A good cat motivator

Hello

Bailey Jane is NOT food oriented and could care less if she gets treats or not. She prefers dry cat kibble to the canned food, and turns her nose up at all of the so called cat treats. I'm having trouble getting her to MOVE! We've spent a fortune on toys that lay around and collect dust. I'm elated if I can get her to bat at a feather more than once a day. She's beginning to put on weight and I don't want her to just lay around and get fat. Cat nip isn't even a motivator for her. She'll do one summersault into the pile and then shake it off and go to her bed and sleep. Her heart lungs and blood vet out just fine. What to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 10:52 PM

Have you tried the cat toy called DaBird? It's a long wand with a feather on the tip. The difference between this toy and other wand toys is that DaBird's feathers are attached with the same kind of thing that fishing lures are attached with. This gives it more motion when you swing it around the room and makes it actually look and sometimes even sound like a real bird.

Also, laser pointers are good cat motivators. Both my cats like the laser.

Have you tried giving pure meat treats like dehydrated turkey or dried liver treats?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 10:58 PM

I know this is kinda bad, but what about *real* food? like a piece of raw chicken or steak?

Does your cat ever perk up when you eat something?

And yeah, lazer pointers are good... maybe a windup or remote controll toy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 11:03 PM

That's a good idea Ashdyre! You can get some raw chicken livers at the supermarket fairly cheap. Just rinse them off before you feed them and don't leave them out for more than 30 minutes.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 11:05 PM
Banned

Definitely get Da Bird. You'll release the hidden athlete in your cat.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:16 AM

Also, is there any possibility of gettin another kitten, or bringing one over for a play date? They might not get along at all, or it might realease the inner kitten in your cat and get her all active again
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

I've tried chicken livers, tuna from the can, chicken breast pieces, and turkey. She just sniffs them and looks up at me jumps down and goes to her favorite spot and sprawls out. She lives with her full sister who happens to be as active as any cat could want to be. They do play but only when Missy jumps on her to instigate it, and it only lasts a minute or two. Bailey does however love to watch her sister play with the turbo ball, and other toys but she never joins in. I'm going to try the laser light I think they both may enjoy that. Wish me luck, I've never had a cat that was so lazy.... Maybe I should have called her Dodsworth!

Judy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyAndSammi
That's a good idea Ashdyre! You can get some raw chicken livers at the supermarket fairly cheap. Just rinse them off before you feed them and don't leave them out for more than 30 minutes.
Eeeeek! Cheap chicken livers from the supermarket? Don't go there! The sheer amount of crap pumped into these poor factory farmed birds all ends up in the liver - antibiotics, growth hormones, even dyes. My cats get organic raw meat, but I wouldn't let them touch factory farmed meat uncooked.

A good idea - put her food at the top of the stairs. She has to go up there to eat it, then back down. Will burn off a few calories daily.

Ems x
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 10:46 PM

Another idea, i know you said you had a lot of toys, but are they all old toys? Maybe buy a new one, she could just be sick of the old ones...

And how about playing chase? Have you tried that?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

If we tried to play chase, I'd end up stepping on her! She lays in the middle of the floor on her back with her whole belly exposed. (No fear) We bought some new toys a few days ago. She's interested in watching Missy plaly with them but won't join in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page