Major territorial disputes!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Major territorial disputes!!

Hello all, I am new to this forum, and this topic may have been touched on already, and if is has, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Here is my situation. I moved into a large shared warehouse complex about 2 years ago. Within the warehouse that I live in is a large open living area, I'd say that it is about the size of a large to medium size house. Already living in this area was two orange cats named Pax and Coby. The owner of Pax and Coby was supposed to be moving out and within a month after I moved in. I brought my own two cats with me to the warehouse to live. At the time, I didn't know anything about how to introduce cats to one another.... and I just kind of put them together. Needless to say, they ended up having huge territorial fights, and after about a week I had to seperate them. I put my cats into a space which is barely big enough to have two cats living in.

I figured I would keep my cats seperated until the other cats were gone. Unfortunately, the owner of the cats left and never came back for them. After a couple of weeks of waiting, I decided to adopt the cats and keep them myself. I then did some Internet research into how to introduce cats properly, and decided based on my situation that I needed to "re-introduce" the cats to each other.

I followed all the steps exactly, I started by feeding them on opposites side of the door between the two living areas. I did this for probably 4 or 5 months. I then started letting the cats see each other as I would open the door to go in and out. They seemed cordial enough. After another few months, I decided that perhaps I could let them have some interaction under my supervision. They seemed okay at first, and didn't have any major fights. Then one night another huge fight happened. One of my original cats was bitten or scratched really badly on the side and developed a really bad infection and I had to take him to the vet to have it drained.

Needless to say, I had to put my cats back into the small area, and they have been seperated ever since. I know the area they are in is really to small for two cats, and they really need some more space. If I could only figure out a way to integrate these cats.

Anyways... sorry to be so long winded, if anyone has any suggestions, it will be greatly appreciated! Both pairs of cats seem to get along great with each other, so I don't see ay reason why they couldn't eventually get along with each other. Anyways, thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me!

-Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Cool Cat

Try swapping the areas the pairs stay in for a while. In other words, put the two warehouse cats in the area your original cats have been staying in.

spike481
Herdmaster of 16 Cats & 1 Dog

"Ever tried to herd cats?"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

How long should I swap their areas for before trying to reintegrate them? Thanks for the reply by the way.

-Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Cat Addict

Are the animals spayed/neutered?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Yes, all four of the cats are male and have been neutered. After my visit to the vet to have Smith's battle wound repaired, I took all four cats to the vet and had them checked out, tested for diseases, and vaccinated. They are all healthy and fixed, but still not getting along!

-Thomas
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Cat Addict

I don't know how well this works personally, but a lot of forum members have used feliway, which is either a spray or plug-in. It basically is a chemical substance that mimics a cat's natural pheromones and is used during cat introductions, traveling, moving, vet visits, or any other stressful situations.

Of course, your cats are going to have to determine who is the dominant cat, so I'm sure there will be hissing, growling, and wrestling.

Also, could you try introducing the animals one at a time? It may be overwhelming for your cats to meet all at the same time rather than two at a time.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I've thought about useing Feliway. I work in a pet store that carries Feliway, but I've been a little hesitant because of the price of it. Maybe I'll break down and give it a try...

That is a good idea introducing them one at a time... I'll give it a try. Thanks.

-Thomas
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Cat Addict

Oh, and what about putting vanilla on the back of their necks so they all smell the same? I mean, they are living in the same area, so I don't know if they all smell the same to each other or not, but it might be worth a shot.

Also, maybe try to reintroduce them at meal times -- then they associate the other cats with food (and we know how much they like food!).

And I don't mean to pry, but you live in a warehouse? I guess I've never heard of that before -- is it like living in a loft?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, its somewhere in between a loft and a warehouse... probably leaning more towards the warehouse side. Some of the warehouses in the complex have been converted into full-blown lofts, while others are still used as industrial warehouses.. and others, like my own, are used for both living and warehouse purposes. I really enjoyed the freedom of it....

-Thomas
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Cat Addict

That sounds cool -- very unusual!

Well, keep us posted on your kitty introductions. I'm sure they will eventually learn to tolerate each other. It will just take time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page