Litterbox question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Litterbox question

Ok I asked about this a few months ago, but I couldn't remember my user name, And I did a search with no luck.

My cat's litterbox really stinks! I scoop twice daily, wash out once a week, My cat was eating dog food.

We got rid of our dog (long story, she was way too hyper, but I miss her sooooooo much!) switched cat back to cat food. He will not cover his pee and it really stinks up the house.

He just went to the vet so I don't think he has an infection, can anyone help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

is he neutered? non-neutered boy cats' urine smells a lot stronger.

has it always smelled this way, or did it just start? did it coincide with the food switch?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Cat Addict

I'm dealing with the same thing -- my foster cat's litterbox just stinks! Lysol has become my best friend -- I haven't found a solution either. She also has a diarrhea problem that I'm trying to clear up too, so I'm taking her off wet food for awhile to see if anything changes.

Could it be diet for your cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Senior Cat

Something we just started to do was put an Lysol Nutra-air plug-in near the box. You know, the lysol version of Oust, the one that takes smell out of the air. On the lowest setting, it makes things sooooo much more tolerable.

I have also noticed that changes in a cats diet can make things smell for a while.

Another thing you may try. I had a cat that the only thing that helped was sprinkling some cheap coffee in the box before putting the litter in. Worked better than baking soda!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
sprinkling some cheap coffee in the box
I never thought of that -- does it deter the animal from using the box at all? I love coffee, and the baking soda hasn't helped much for her.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebsilmare
sprinkling some cheap coffee in the box before putting the litter in. Worked better than baking soda!
hmmmm--that ingenious!! never heard of that. does it absorb the odor, or just cover it up?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Cat

I didn't deter her from using the box at all. The coffee absorbed a lot of the smell. It works on the same principle of if you have bad breath, suck on a coffee bean. It will absorb the smell and help to cover any left over up!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 01:54 AM

I use a cat litter deoderizer it is in the super-markets and Petco type places and it is made for the litter. My male cat doesn't cover his pee either and usually male cats have a much stronger smell so...

I also keep a plug in type smell thingy in the room.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Well he ate the maxx nutrition for kittens, I didnt notice a smell. Then the dog came along and we switched to Maxx Nutrition for puppies, at first there was no smell, then later I noticed a smell. Now I have switched to max nutrition for cats, still a smell, its the pee that is bad.

No he is not neutered...my friend asked me if he had been spraying? I dont know what do they do when they do that?

He use to cover his pee now he doesn't?

I use the baking soda cat litter box stuff it works ok I guess. I dont think there are any plug ins near the litterbox but I'll have to check. What is the name of the plug in?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 10:11 AM

I have not yet figured out why you were feeding your cat...dog food?
Cats can get sick from this....I mean was he sneaking it in addition to his cat food?
It sounds like you just let him eat it? Strange decision.

I have 2 dogs that I feed twice daily...I do not free feed them.
So I cant understand why you were having a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page