Our cat does something disgusting... not sure what to do... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Our cat does something disgusting... not sure what to do...

So, Jenny and I have a cat named Daisy. She's a wonderful pet... never breaks anything, never gets on the counters/tables, doesn't scratch up the furniture, isn't the least bit aggressive, is very affectionate, etc.

There is a problem, though:

1. Daisy is fat

2. Daisy is too fat to clean her own ass

3. Daisy remedies this by doing the classic "butt drag" across the floor

You see, we thought she had worms. Cats and dogs will do that butt-dragging thing whenever they have a worm problem. We wormed her over and over again and she has not signs of them, so that's not the problem. We weren't sure why she did it until tonight:

She comes out after using the litter box and does "the drag". Then she walks off and there's a CAT BUTT STREAK on the carpet!!!!!!!!! So, it's that simple... she's whiping her ass on the carpet because she's too fat to get to it herself!!

*** am I supposed to do about this? Shave all the hair off around her ***?

This is NOT acceptable!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 01:49 AM

Well I suggest helping your cat loose some weight, because if your cat is so over-weight that she can't clean her bottom this will be the least of your worries later on.

I also suggest letting her know that it is not ok for her to do this, the habit needs to be broken. Also you could help her out a little until she is able to do it herself...

But she needs to loose some weight so that she lives a long and healthy life.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:34 AM
Premier Cat

It may be anal glands. This article refers *mostly* to dogs, but could still be your problem:

http://www.all-creatures.com/455984.html

Also, not sure if you are aware, but if you are doing the deworming at home, most of those products you can buy over the counter are not very effective. You may have already been going to the vet, but if not, you may want to try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Banned

Dragging the but on the floor in order to clean the behind isn't typical cat behavior. With normal stool there isn't much left on the anus to need cleaning. There shouldn't be that much licking required to keep it reasonably clean. I'd suspect anal glands, too. Either that or an intestinal problem. Anal gland secretion left on the carpet may resemble soft stool.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 04:27 PM

Yes, when cats do the scoot, the most common ailment is impacted anal glands. The second (less common) is the cat is so overweight that that's the only way to clean his/herself. In your case it could be both. I've read of only one member so far whose cat who does this despite the abscence of health issues.

The first order of business is definitely a vet visit to rule out anal gland problems. Then the vet can tell you how overweight Daisy is, and guide you to a proper diet and amounts for her. It's very important to regulate weight loss. For reference, one cat pound equals almost 35 human pounds. So that's a lot of extra weight your cat's dragging around. In addition to a regulated diet, incorporate more playtime with Daisy.

Since you mentioned worming, it's good to reiterate to other people reading this that most medications only go after 3 or less of the common worms, and definitely most over the counter meds are not very effective, as AddFran said. We're just assuming that's what was used, since you didn't mention which wormer, and for which worms.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

More info:

She's 13.5 pounds, which is overweight for her size but other people are telling me that their cats are larger and still have no trouble cleaning themselves. Also, I've noticed that she gets poop stuck in the hair around her butt and this may be what she's trying to get off. I don't know why she doesn't clean herself the way other cats do... maybe she doesn't know how.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread
More info:

She's 13.5 pounds, which is overweight for her size but other people are telling me that their cats are larger and still have no trouble cleaning themselves. Also, I've noticed that she gets poop stuck in the hair around her butt and this may be what she's trying to get off. I don't know why she doesn't clean herself the way other cats do... maybe she doesn't know how.
Ok, that explains a few things. It sounds like she's a long hair kitty, so that's why she's got poopie stuck on her hair? I just replied to another thread about cutting their kitty's hair around the butt area so there's less sticking. Long haired cat. Maybe that's something that would help you?

13.5lbs don't mean much in itself. Could be right, chubby, or grossly overweight, depending on her build, but generally that's chubby for a typical female cat. You're probably right, she may not know how to clean herself either. In which case, shaving her behind may help her and you a lot.

So if other people are telling you that their cats are larger and still clean themselves, then we can strike from the list the "weight preventing it". Again, only you know what your cat can do (do you have pics somewhere? We love pics ) Still, it's a good idea for her general health and well-being to get to her right weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page