About Getting Along - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

About Getting Along

There have been a lot of posts about cats not getting along. We have 14, and as you can imagine, not everyone gets along with everyone else. There is Nimbus who hates being inside, but when she is in to eat, she growls and swipes at anyone within reach. Then there is Squirrel, the former feral we brought in while she was pregnant (though we didn't know it at the time). She spends more time inside than Nimbus, but still doesn't like folks getting close to her, though she lets cats get closer than Nimbus. Then we have Domino, the oldest female....she hates Nimbus, Squirrel, and the other older female Sundae.
Now Domino will actually stalk and attack the above mentioned females. It sucks when she does that and we try to stop her when it happens. Nimbus and Squirrel go out of their way to avoid confrontation, but with so many cats, someone inevitably gets too close for comfort.
If we took Domino out of the house, I think we would have no problems except for the occasional swat; we wouldn't have attacks. But Domino gets along great with the younger cats and even plays with them, and she is really a sweetie most of the time. We just accepted the fact that certain cats will not get along and love and clean each other, etc. Please don't get the idea that there is constant fighting in our house, there isn't. In fact, right now Domino and Squirrel are sleeping on the pool table within 2 feet of each other. I think that it's just that Domino is moody.

So I guess the reason for this post is that if you have a couple of cats that don't get along, especially if one is a newcomer, don't get stressed. Give it time....and even if they don't get along, they'll establish their own limits and boundaries. They will still have spats from time to time, but it's really nothing to get worried about unless someone is getting hurt.

This is Nimbus (back) and Squirrel using the same chair. They ended up sleeping there together for a couple of hours.

Things evolve. Next thing you know, they'll be cleaning each other

spike481
Herdmaster of 16 Cats & 1 Dog

"Ever tried to herd cats?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
AWW! They're cuddling! (well...not really, but it's good to see them not hating each other!)

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 10:38 AM

So is that the chair that your feamle sprayed on?
Glad it is leather so you can just clean it down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 11:43 AM
MA

Thanks for the encouraging note. 14 cats?! Wow! I have total admiration for your love of cats and the patience. *I'm bowing*. My original/resident Siamese mix is still have acceptance problems with one of my 2 adopted neighborhood strays. She does for the most part get along with the other. She was more accepting with that one than the other. I'm not giving up on them. We even considered giving Kimmie away to an aunt for her safety but I just love her too much to let go. And she is quite attached to me (us). Time is all I have to work with at this point. Tried re-introduction, spirit essence, vanilla...just about what everyone recommended. I lost count but I think I have been going on 9 months now. I've posted this problem before but reading your thread (or any thread like yours) give me hope.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Hehe, yes that is the chair Domino sprayed that night while we stood right next to her. This pic was taken after that little incident Also, we have two leather chairs and a leather couch. I've also seen a lot of posts saying that cats don't like to scratch on leather.....oh contrair......they will scratch on leather too. We have a couple of scratch posts and a cat condo. Only the cat condo gets used

spike481
Herdmaster of 16 Cats & 1 Dog

"Ever tried to herd cats?"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 09:01 PM

Re: About Getting Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike481
So I guess the reason for this post is that if you have a couple of cats that don't get along, especially if one is a newcomer, don't get stressed. Give it time....and even if they don't get along, they'll establish their own limits and boundaries. They will still have spats from time to time, but it's really nothing to get worried about unless someone is getting hurt.
I second that, I used to get stressed but if my 3 cats don't want to be buddies then that is how it will have to be. I catch mine napping or sitting close to each other from time to time. I guess as humans, we want instant results. My husband thinks Sully will never come out of the closet but we have only had him for 4 weeks...patience my dear patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page