Trying to convert an outdoor cat..... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Trying to convert an outdoor cat.....

Because of continuing problems with our neighbours cat, we decided that the best thing for Dory was to try to convert her to a pure indoor cat. We tried her with a collar with a view to getting a coded catflap, but she hates the collar. She spent a lot of time indoors anyway - uses her scratching posts, the litter box etc, drinks from the kitty fountain. So I locked the cat flap and covered it with an elasticated home-made tarp. The first couple of days she was ok, but yesterday and this morning she's been getting more and more insistant on going out. She's started clawing the tarp off and has figured out how to partially unlock the cat flap. We're trying to be strong, and to stick to our guns but is there anything else we can do that will help this transition? She's getting so insistant with meouwing and clawing at the flap that it breaks my heart to keep her in. I think I should remove the flap completely and put the panel back in the door but will she then just sit at the door crying?
It's upsetting my wife which is upsetting me and we're at our wits end trying to figure out what to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
invest in a leash and harness and take her out on with you. That honestly is the best thing I've found to stop the incessant meowing to get out, because they get a little "outside" fix.

Maybe others will have other ideas...

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She fretted and panicked when we put a collar on her - would a harness be less intrusive ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Most cats have a bad reaction to collars etc. for the first little while (for some it's only a few hours, for others a few days). I find the harness better for taking them outside, because it's much harder for them to slip out. Try putting one on while you're going to be around with her in the house for a few hours, and give her some time to adjust to it. Gradually increase the amount of time she's got it on, so that she gets used to it, and when the time comes to take her out, you can just slip the harness on, and she'll be fine with it. Good luck!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 03:14 AM

Seal up the cat-flap and be strong. I know it is difficult but your cat will eventually get used to it, although the want to get out may never go away it will get better.

When she starts crying and clawing at the door, try to take her into another room and distract her by playing. Try putting something in front of the cat-flap door that covers the flap for awhile. Just stay strong, it sounds like the worse adaptions are going well for her, like scratching post, litterbox etc. So that is a good thing.

Do you all have a backyard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page