My cat scratched my 7 year old all over his arm - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

My cat scratched my 7 year old all over his arm

My cat, Simba, the one who's been attacking our legs, got ahold of my son today when he tried to pick him up and went off on his arm. He dug his claw in to his wrist, palm , the front side of his hand and up to his elbow. These were nasty scratches that bled and bled. I was very upset at Simba so I squirted him with the water faucet in the kitchen.

I have been doing the thing with him, the play therapy, so that he feels like he is getting to play, hunt , and catch something, then giving him some meat, but I guess it's not working. I have never had such a mean cat. I am very frustrated. I love him, but then, I don't want him to hurt my child, whom I love a lot more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

oh and no my son didn't do anything other than pick him up. Whats the good in having a cat you can't hold.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Banned

no, this isn't good at all. you put anti-biotic ointment on, I hope? cat claw punctures can get infected easily.

is your cat's claws trimmed well back? I keep my cats' claws trimmed, and I think it would take some force to break the skin if they swiped me.

sorry to hear that. can you keep the cat clear of your son until the cat's behavior is more acceptable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

yes, I put him in the garage for tonight. This cat is very mean, and starting to scare me.

I don't have him trimmed. I will pick up some trimmers tomorrow, but I am terrified to trim his claws.

I put antibiotic on it right away.

Thanks.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Banned

probably you should have a professional trim the claws until he's used to having it done.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJAtlanta
oh and no my son didn't do anything other than pick him up. Whats the good in having a cat you can't hold.
unfortunaltey, some cat's just dont like to be held, but there is still plenty of good in having them, if you give them love on their terms. Also, punishing with water is not really effective with most cats, as they associate the punishment with YOU, not the bad behaviour. Try interacting with him slowly, like sitting in a room with him, and letting him come to YOU for affection. When he comes to you, pat him gently, but read his body language and let him tell you what he's comfortable with. In the mean time, until you understand what it is he likes, and are comfortable with reading his body language, I wouldn't suggest picking him up.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:49 PM

I hear your frustration! I am the Mother of 4...I would not be happy either. Have you tried Da'Bird toy....your son would have alot of fun playing with the cat with it and they could do some bonding.

Some cats just refuse to be held, unless on their terms of course.
Your son, at age 7, should be able to understand that...and if you get Da'Bird toy....he will have just as much fun using it to play with the cat.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

well, that is like having a baby and not being able to hold or cuddle with it for us. We want to hold our kitty. He does understand that he can't hold him now lol.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:12 PM

I know its not as much fun.....
How old is the cat and how long has she lived with you?

I almost re-homed MiMi after she attacked me and I am so happy I stuck with her.....after she was spayed....she is the nicest friendliest cat in the world....the same cat that attacked me.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Cool Cat

Unfortunately, with a cat who doesn't like to be held or picked up, the more you attempt to pick up and hold him, the more he will dislike it and the "meaner" he will get. I've met a lot of cats who go through a very "untouchable" period between 6-18 months (it's like dealing with a teenager who doesn't want hugs from mom and dad). All touching has to be on their terms or they'll fight it, and will get violent if they have to, just to get their point across. Neutering may well help with this, but it also may just take time for him to get through his adolescent phase. Kids especially can (inadvertantly) be very offensive to cats because of their quick movements, high voices, and exuberant energy....they don't mean to do it, but it happens. My cat, BTW, is downright dangerous around kids (cannot be exposed to them at all, ever, under any circumstances) and unpredictable with strangers (especially women), and was very hard to deal with for about the first year she lived with us, so sometimes these things take quite some time to even begin to resolve. I lost track of how many times in thise first months Assumpta spazzed out and clawed, bit, growled, hissed, and just generally acted like she wanted me dead. All I could do was provide a quiet and predictable enviroment and let her come to me when she decided she wanted to...I think if I had pushed the issue or forced her, she'd be a very different cat today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page