Cat Aggression - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Cat Aggression

I have had a 6 year old female cat, Smudge, for about 18 months and recently got another cat. I followed advice and got a younger male, Leo. I have had him about a week and have followed advice around introducing a new cat. As I have a small house it has been difficult to keep Leo in a seperate room. We have monitored the cats together and fed them in seperate rooms, close to the door.

Leo is an ex-stray that we adopted from a cat's home. He is very used to being able to go outside, but at the moment he can not as we have only had him a week. Smudge will happily go outside. Since we had Leo, we ensure that Smudge goes out during the day so that there is not any aggression or fighting. Smudge happily goes, however she is not used to having to go outside for such a long period.

Over the past few days, Leo has been aggressive towards Smudge. He has growled at her and jumped to attack her. This is making Smudge very timid and she is very reluctant to come out from under a chair in the bedroom upsatirs. When ever she sees him she now looks very scared and will hiss.

I know that Smudge should be the one who rules the territory but Leo appears to be becoming the more dominating one.

Please help. I really want the cats to be able to live in the same house without either feeling unsettled. Any advise would me much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Cool Cat

If the cats are going to go thru this stage (some don't) they have to go through it. Leo is scared, that's why he is growling. Smudge just isn't sure if Leo is supposed to be in the house yet. You've only had Leo for a week, let them go, they will work it out.

spike481
Herdmaster of 16 Cats & 1 Dog

"Ever tried to herd cats?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page