Hiding - Animal Behavioralist - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Hiding - Animal Behavioralist

For the past week, Kitty has been hiding a lot. It's like she doesn't want to deal with Thomas. But it's sad because she's not sitting near me. She hides in the box spring in the bed in the guest bedroom. The box spring liner is torn and she crawls inside.

If I go up there and call her, she'll come out and go downstairs with me. But the next time Thomas attacks her, she'll go hide again. It's really unusual. I've gotten in the habit of closing that bedroom door when I get home and opening it when I go to bed. In order to keep her from hiding. But I don't know if this is the best thing to do.

I'm seriously starting to think about calling in an animal behavioralist. Has anyone ever consulted one of these people before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:09 PM

If you were getting attacked, wouldn't you hide?

The problem isn't her hiding.....it's her getting attacked.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I know that...it's just she's been getting attacked on a regular basis for 1.5 years....why has she just started hiding now? You know?

She usually just fights him off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:19 PM

I think if you were to consult a feline behaviourist, it would be more beneficial to get Thomas assessed rather than Kitty, as it seems to be him who has the behaviour problem from the sounds of it.

Is it aggressive attacking, or rough play? Have they honestly been fighting for 18 months?

Ems
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:58 PM

Poor kitty

Quote:
I know that...it's just she's been getting attacked on a regular basis for 1.5 years....why has she just started hiding now? You know?
Guess it took her 18 months to realize you weren't going to do anything about it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well...that's nice. I've done everything I can think of from feliway and spirit essences to spray bottling Thomas when he attacks and play therapy.

They get along sometimes...so I think they like each other. Thomas cleans Kitty and she cleans him. Which is supposed to be a sign of affection. They will sleep together, it's just tough because Kitty will be laying down and Thomas will come over and sometimes he lays down nicely and sometimes He pounces on her and starts biting. So, she never knows what he's going to do. I try to be there to make him lay down instead of attack...but you can't be there 24 7.

If he is really going after her or being mean, I'll put him in time out. Which calms him down. But he'll be back at it before I know it.

I really thought things were getting better since two weeks ago, Kitty started sleeping with me at night again. It was so nice!!! But then she started hiding during the day.

I should have been more clear that I was thinking of bringing in an animal behavioralist to help me figure out what to do about the fighting. To either stop Thomas from attacking or to teach Kitty how to fight back better. Or if another cat would help distract Thomas. Most of his attacks are playful...he wants her to chase him, or he wants to chase her, or wrestle, etc. But Kitty just isn't interested in playing. Which is why it's an attack instead of play.

I don't know if an animal behavioralist could help...but I thought they might be able to see something I haven't in how they interact. I just wish they could be friends all the time.

To say that I do nothing to help Kitty is unfair. She's my baby and I've done everything I can think of to stop Thomas from picking on her. The only other thing I can imagine is to get rid of Thomas. Which really isn't a possibility because I've learned to love the crazy cat.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:37 PM

We brought in an animal behaviorlist for my dog and it really helped. It took a little bit of time, but my dog has changed tremendously for the better.

Also don't let the negative and mean comments bother you. I think sometimes people just want to be jerks. You sound like you are doing the best that you can and you are looking for a solution. Good luck.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
We brought in an animal behaviorlist for my dog and it really helped.
How did you find one? I've called my vet (whom I adore) and asked for a reference, but they didn't have one. I've checked the yellow pages...but there is no Animal Behavioralist category .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:59 PM

Our vet recommended one, but the behaviorist that we used also posted sighs at a PetCo. You could try calling a few pet stores and see what they recommend or even other reputable vets because they might know. There is an "Animal Behaviour Therapy" category in our yellow pages, so they just maybe more of them in our area.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 04:37 PM

My comments....

were from the cat's point of view....in spite of anything you have tried, the issue finally just got too much for her to handle. I also agree with the need for a behaviorist. If that doesn't work, as much as I hate to say it, one of the cats may need to be rehomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page