Discipline methods? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Discipline methods?

hey guys and girls.

i was wondering how you discipline your naughty kittys?

i've been using the water bottle spray method to get them out of areas the shouldn;t be.. and i know son enough they'll be use to it so i'll need something else.

what do you guys do ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Cool Cat

As a rule, I don't use "punishment," because I don't think it works and is detrimental to my relationship with the cat. IME, the best way to deal with cats going where you don't want them is a two pronged approach:

1.) Pick your battles. If your list of places the cat can't go and things the cat can't do is too long, the cat will be overwhelmed by it and will just ignire the "rules" and do whatever it feels like doing. I don't sweat the cat on the dining room table or the counters because it's just not worth fighting what will probably be a losing battle (as soon as you leave, the cat will just get up there anyhow, regardless of "punishment," because they know that they'll only get punished if you catch them). I just remove the cat with a snide comment and go about my business. However, I will not allow my cat on the woodstove, because it could badly injure her, so that's a battle I was willing to fight vigorously.

2.) Outthink the cat. Give them alternatives that are more appealing than the stuff you don't want them to do, and try to make it so it seems like it's their idea and not yours. I once managed to feed Assumpta a pill off my dinner plate which she scarfed down because she thought it was part of my dinner. Cat scratching posts and cat trees can be provided as a cat-attractive alternative to scratching the couch or climbing the bookshelf/counters. Cats want to scratch and climb, it's their instinct...so if there aren't sufficient outlets for it, they'll find their own places to scratch and climb, and you can't reasonably punish them for doing so. Add to that impersonal deterrents like double-sided tape on the furniture they like to scratch, and suddenly the scratching post seems a bit more attractive to them. It's not always easy to outthink a cat, and in cases where I utterly fail to manage it, I refer back to rule #1 and rethink whether it's a battle worth fighting.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Banned

discipline doesn't really work with cats. they just associate the unpleasantness with the source and not with the behavior. really the only things you can do to prevent unwanted behavior are deterrence and diversion and avoidance. the squirt gun is an example of deterrence. a scratching post in lieu of furniture is an example of diversion. avoidance would be something like keeping things you don't want the cats messing with behind closed doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

both good pionts thanks..

i have supplied them a scratching post and a mechanical mouse, and a fly thing that you stick on a window and the jump and chase it...

with these things they still seem to want the furnature and curtains more the the post..
given the post has to posts. a hammock attached to both a taller platform, with a wheel attach to it. seems pretty good for 'em but they don't care about it..
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

WHERE you put these things is important. they can't be placed someplace convenient to the people in the house, they need to be somewhere on the cats' "beat". also, have you tried stimulating their interest with catnip?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:25 PM

Have you tried the catnip spray?
You could spray that on it...I have heard alot of cats go wild for that stuff.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

the post itself is in there bedroom near the bed.

i have tried spraying catnip on the post. but nothing..

should i moce the scraching post to a place they spend more time?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Banned

ideally it should be where they like to scratch. then once they get used to it, you can gradually, a little bit each day, move it somewhere else, but still somewhere they're likely to come across it when they're in the mood to scratch.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

hmm alright i'll move it..

thanks tim
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:29 PM

Hmmmmm....first review I have heard of the catnip spray not working.
Shooot. Do you have different types of scratchers available.

I have sisal rope and the cardboard type.
They also make a sisal rope throw rug that alot of cats enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page