About drinking from faucets - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

About drinking from faucets

From 101 Questions Your Cat Would Ask Its Vet If Your Cat Could Talk by Bruce Fogle

Why do I prefer drinking water from a dripping tap rather than from the water bowl that people kindly fill for me?

Simply because it is fun. Some people like to do the same, only they use the garden hose....

Cats drink by cupping their tongues into a classical spoon shape and lapping. Taps drip perfect proportions of water to fill the cup.... Finding his own source of water satisfies a cat's need for mental stimulation. Rather than drinking from a boring bowl marked 'CAT', he leaps up, treads warily amond soap and utensils, then leans forward and drinks from his own natural waterfall.

Finally, unlike many other species of mammals, cats can taste water. They have special taste buds for doing so. It could simply be that fresh running tap water tastes better than water that has been sitting in a bowl for several hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:27 AM
Jr. Cat

Uh, ok... ...then how come my 11 year old enjoys sink water that is fresh, but is sitting there with the stopper, acting as if its nothing more than water in a bowl (though he LOVES this) and my 2 year old enjoys having the faucet on constantly?

We have two sinks in the bathroom and the 2 year old will only go to the sink that just recently had water running. I have to leave it on otherwise he'll go back and forth, getting in my way, cuz I need the sink water for other things. My 11year old will NOT drink while the faucets on, because he'll get wet, and hasnt figured out how to tilt his head properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page