Pooping outside litterbox; We need help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Pooping outside litterbox; We need help!

We adopted a persian cat that is around 7 years old in April of 2004. Now it is Feb. of 2005 and we didn't start having litterbox issues until just over a month ago.

We have two other cats that get along well with her. They all use one litterbox that is in a walk in closet with an open doorway.

She was left in a house and found along with two other cats for a month when the landlord found them and called the human society. Then I adopted her and introduced her to my other cats. We had her for months with no problems...

...and then she began pooping just outside the litterbox. We knew it was only her (and not our other two) because several times we caught her red handed! That went on for about a month and then...

...in the past three weeks she started pooping right next to the toilett in the bathroom. Most times we would catch her in the act because she would start scratching on the wall next to the toilette after she was finished. We would clean it up with bleach and she would do it again.

So then we closed the door to that bathroom anytime we weren't in there and yesturday while I was one room away she was walking away from the bathroom door when I found out that she did the unthinkable! She pooped right outside of the closed bathroom door!!!

So now I've resorted to keeping a close eye on her and watching every move she makes.

Please help me regain my sanity!!! I don't want the next 10 years of my life to be spent watching Maddie like a hawk! (Those are my hawk eyes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 01:38 AM

Cats often change their litter box preferences. This could be why one month she is fine using the litter box, then the next she will absolutely refuse.

She is probably sick of sharing a litter box with two other cats. My suggestion is to add another box, or even two more boxes. A good rule of thumb for the amount of litter boxes you should have is this: One for each cat in the house, plus an extra one. I have two cats and I've gotten away with only having two litter boxes though.

If adding more boxes doesn't work, try switching litters. Sometimes cats become picky about the litter you use and will begin to prefer something else.

I really think adding another box or two will solve all of your problems though.

Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:09 AM

I betcha a million that in her previous home her litterbox was
placed right next to the toilet.

Loads of people do that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page