Old cat not accepting new cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Old cat not accepting new cat

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site. I have an 8 month old kitten and have had her for about 6 months now. She is our only pet besides my two parakeets. She goes with me to my parents' house nearly every weekend, and she is around other cats and dogs there but is scared of them. I just recently decided to rescue another cat.
I got the new cat home and followed the advice most people give about separating the two for awhile and let them smell each other. Well, my 8 month old would growl a little but was never mean towards the smell. But once I introduced the two face to face, my original cat hisses at the new one sometimes and growls when the new cat gets too close when she's not expecting it. The new cat, however, wants to play. This makes it difficult, because the new cat will playfully pounce towards the old cat and the old cat gets scared and hisses and runs. I am afraid that this will be how they act with each other forever. Is there any way I can get my old cat to accept our new family member? I make a point to pay as much attention to her as I did before, maybe even more attention. Please, if there are any suggestions, help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Cool Cat

how long have you had the new cat? And are you introducing them very gradually?

it can be discouraging to downright scary when cats don't seem to accept each other, but given time, they will establish their own territories within the home. It can take weeks, or even months for the territories to be established. Don't fret... but if you're worried that one may hurt the other, it would be wise to shut one into a separate room while you're away.

I'm sure that things will work out in time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Banned

this is all part of the get-aquainted routine, and won't last forever. perhaps you may have put them together a little too soon, but they should work things out eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Senior Cat

I agree with Tim. Some things must be worked out in their way, not yours. Your original cat wants to show that she's in charge, the new one doesn't want to back down. In time they should find a suitable arrangement and be happy with each other.

Think of it this way. Do you know anyone that you really didn't like at first, but now you're good friends? You grow on each other and get used to each others eccentricities. They are just at the beginning of that journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page