Still having litterbox problems... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Still having litterbox problems...

I am so hoping someone can help me here...I am completely at my wits end.

I don't know if you remember me from a few months ago -- we adopted our 2 cats from the SPCA back in August. They were both fixed at that time. We were told that both were only about 4 months old...the boy was, but the girl turned out to be about 9 months. She was severely malnourished...probably a stray and weaned early. From the first the boy had absolutely no problem with using the litterbox. The girl on the other hand is about to go -- I can not take much more...and I do not understand why she does this. For no apparent reason she will poop outside the box -- under my boys bed, in the bathroom, in the kitchen, next to the box...there is no rhyme or reason to any of it. She'll use the box at times too...and just with I think she's finally getting it, I step in a mess somewhere else. We have tried absolutely everything -- crating her, we have 4 boxes, different litters, Feliway, behaviorist, locking out, yelling...she's been given a complete clean bill of health...I just don't understand!

I am so hoping someone has experienced this same thing and has some good advice for us. The kids and my dh are attached to her -- at this point I am not and would rather give her back to the shelter or to a home that can handle this. You'll probably all hate me for feeling this way, but I can't do anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Banned

does the boy cat use all four boxes? some girl cats won't use the same box a boy cat uses. I don't know how you'd handle this if it was the case, I just thought I'd ask.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:40 AM

How long did you try the crate with her?
Was the crate large enough to hang a hammock in it for sleeping?

I am just asking because I have a long term plan for my kitten.
My long term goal may be up to 8 months.
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15060

Here is what I am going to try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

The boy (Briar) will use whichever he wants...but I don't know how to make one just hers. She has never buried her waste....Briar actually goes in after her and does it.

The crate was big enough I suppose for a hammock...I didn't use one though. We did it for 3 months with gradual coming out....but she hated it and yowled almost nonstop for those 3 months. This was very stressful on all of us and the behaviorist recommended that we not do that anymore and try the Feliway stuff to bring stress down.

She seems to be a very happy cat and enjoys being here. Sometimes it seems she does this out of spite/revenge if I leave to go shopping or for the day of errands. I've resorted to locking her in a room with a box for a couple of days when she doesn't use the box, but sh'e scratching up the door and the yowling is very stressful.

If this is a jealousy or seperation anxiety thing then I don't know what I can do. I have 4 kids and "life" that I can't compremize on.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:56 AM

Wow....
I have alot of kids too....I am expecting number 6 this April.
So I can 100% understand where you are coming from!
Forgive me if I ask an obvious question...
have you tried different types of litters?
Also...when you have her in one room....are you putting the other cat with her in there too?
When I let my kitten out of the crate and let her have one room...I always put my other cat in there with her so they can have play time.

Wow....3 months you tried the crate...not too encouraging for me to hear.

But I am lucky in the fact that my kitten seems to like it in there and she
never barely even Meow's.

If you are truly at the end of your rope......I cant think of anybody who would judge you if you return the cat.
I know if I was half asleep and had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and stepped in a nice pile of crap...I would not bee too happy.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:00 PM

Sorry I just re-read and see that you do have different types of litter.

Have you had a stool sample at the vet to make sure she does not
have any parasites, bacteria or worms?

You should rule that out as a cause.
Otherwise it may be safe to assume this was the reason she was
at the shelter in the first place.....also....Have you contacted them about this. They should offer to take her back.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:22 PM

I certainly second BoscosMum's recommendation of ruling at a physical cause. Every time that I’ve had problems of this type there has been something wrong with the cat. It might be worms, or it might be a diet issue, etc. -- not everything is behavioral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page