Why does my cat love his brother? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Why does my cat love his brother?

I have an 11 year old black cat. Throughout his life hes had younger siblings. He has hated each and every one of them. Totally will not get along at all, refuses to be in the same room with them. I figured it was a territorial thing, that and the fact that his siblings were all male. Well, for 2 years hes been an only child. When I introduced his new baby brother, he hated him like all the others... but after a month he LOVES him! Whats the deal? Why is this cat so special?

Basically they'll sleep together, touching, even sometimes sleep in the same basket. I even see them giving each other baths! I see them hug and rub up against each other, but mostly they just lick each other. I could pick up the now 2 year old cat and place him infront of the 11 year old, and he'll just immediately start to licking.

Anyone know why on earth, out of all the cats hes lived with, he not only tolerates this one, but love him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 03:53 AM

Some cats just simply develop an instant bond, there's all kinds of factors. Maybe your older cat is just mellowing with age, maybe the younger cat was just easier to get along with instantly.

Whatever the reason, just be happy you have found a brother he loves so much!

Ems
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 AM

That is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I also have more weird sick details about these two cats... ...The 11 year old, throughout his life has had a "baby." This baby was a black pound purry from the late 80s. Hes pick it up by the neck, brought it with him into the litter box, brought it by its food, but mostly hug and play fight with it. Hes always been all about that toy until the last two years.

We introduced this baby kitten, who we think make have been taken from his mother WAY too early. He would constantly cry, and would suck and knead my house slippers.

Now that they both get along, I'm seeing less and less of both behaviors. The 11 year old only plays with his old "baby" only when I place it next to him, and the 2 year only sucks and kneads the slippers when I place them next to him.

It its possible that this isnt brotherly love... ...that my 11 year old is playing mother, or well father, to the younger cat? I didnt think there was such a thing as a father figure as far as cats go, but do you think its possible? Like rather than me adopting him, my 11 year old adopted him?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Cool Cat

Well, we had a big, human-aggressive tom at the shelter last year who just adored kittens. He'd snuggle up to them, groom them, and play gently with them (though he was very rough in dealing with adult cats). He went to a family with a kitten and a small child, and by all accounts, he gets on famously with the kitten and the child, but hates the adults. Go figure.

I'd just be happy that they're getting along and seem to be good for each other.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 03:56 AM

My late cat Bumper was an enormous brute of a cat, but a real gentle giant. He loved baby animals, and played 'mum' to various orphaned kittens I hand reared, even a 2 week old puppy and a litter of three hedgehogs once! He loved to snuggle up with orphans, groom them and keep them warm - I just provided the milk. I ended up keeping 2 kittens he developed such a strong bond with.

Ems x
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

So being a father figure, though also being a tough and rough cat, is possible? We always adopt kittens. Sorry if that seems shallow, but its extremely hard to resist the evil powers of a baby kitten. He never was a father figure to them. As mentioned earlier he couldnt stand them.

It wasnt that the kittens didnt want a dad. Infact, whenever theyd come over, he'd hiss at them. But for some reason this ones different. He wanted to be loved just like every other new kitten, but he was accepted?

I love these two cats, when the grey one was little wed tell people that we threw Whiskerz (the old big blck cat) in the washer... ...when we got him out, he shrunk in the wash and the color faded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page