More cat problems, somebody give me hope - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

More cat problems, somebody give me hope

Our female cat is about 10 months old or so, and lately she is all over the counter tops and table, this never use to be a problem. She likes to knock stuff off the counters. Also she takes the bread off the counter and shreads it in the middle of the floor. I know the cure for that one. She also wakes us up in the morning at about 5:30 by playing with the closet doors, or hitting the plastic curtains, she wants me to chase her and we always end up at her dish, but I refuse to feed her until it is time. Do cats go through an adolescence stage?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 07:34 PM

My cat is about 10 months old and see seems to be going through this stage too. She is all over the place all time. Jumping on everyhign she can find. My vet suggested that I put aluminium foil on the counters or anything else we do not want her on. It has worked pretty well. It has been put on the counters and a leather chair. She has not jumped on them much at all.

My cat was waking me up between 4:00 and 6:00 am on most monrings wanting to play, eat or be petted. Since cats are nocturnal so they want to be up when we are sleeping. I try to play w/ my cat through out the day, so she doesn't sleep all day (I know for people who work or are school this is not is hard) and then around 8:00 p.m I play with her for about an hour, so she is really worn out. When I come in my room she follows me and jumps on the bed and is ready to go to sleep.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 08:04 PM

Awww, take heart, there's hope! Yup, they're going thru "adolescence", and most of them grow out of the hyperactivity, though there are some that are just that way.

Best thing to do at the 5:30am attention-getting ploy is to ignore her completely (as best you can), otherwise you'll encourage her to continue with the behavior, since it will get you up. It will take some time, maybe months, for it to work consistently, if you ignore her consistently. She'll constantly test you (maybe *this* time he'll pay attention). My cats now still wake up at 5:30, but then go downstairs to play instead on jumping on our faces.

I'm not the right person to advise on the counter problem, since we have a "compromise" here: the kitties don't go on the counters/tables when we're around, but the minute we're out of range, up they go. We just cleared off everything, every time, whatever we prepare. The upside is that our counters are completely clutter-free, and very clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page