an idea to curb agression -what do you think? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

an idea to curb agression -what do you think?

I love Squeakers so much. I could never imagine not having her. I think she has multiple personality disorder though. Sometimes, she's incredibly cuddly and affectionate, other times very aggressive. She bites, and not always playfully. She hardly ever breaks the skin, but it's upsetting. We play - a lot! She's a very playful kitten (6 months old). Lots of play therapy. My fiance thought it might be a good idea to give a yell when she bites. A really loud yell! It definitely scares her, and it seems to be working for him. I haven't really given it a try yet. Will this work? Will she associate the unpleasant yell with her biting and stop doing it? Or will it make her scared of us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 09:43 AM

No.....dont yell.

You have Da'Bird or similar toy....to take out when this mood hits her?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 09:56 AM

Re: an idea to curb agression -what do you think?

I think her personlaity sounds pretty typical for a cat of her age. My cat will go from kneading on my stomach, purring in my face, and headbutting me to biting, scratching and attacking my hand in about a minutes time. When she gets in the attack mood I let her chase the laser light or I get out this glove that I made. It looks like an over mit, but it is made out of fleece. I put that on and play w/ her. If she starts to bit and scratch the glove protects my hand. I made mine, but they also carry them at PEtco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Banned

all cats have "multiple personality disorder". they have nine lives, right?

I would say "No" in a firm tone to get their attention, not to scare them, just to let them know I'm unhappy with the bite, and discontinue anything I might have been doing that led up to the bite. bites are often the result of the cat not getting desire attention and interactive play (boredom), and sometimes the result of the cat playing predator with a human's body part. you've got to let them know you're not prey. you're not another cat.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:33 AM

I have a kitten who has shown similar behavior. She is 7 months old. My husband and I had been noticing her being more and more aggressive with that "split personality" like you said. She would start biting, jumping, and attacking out of nowhere and then a minute later she would be all cuddly.

I had read that if the cat exhibits this behavior, like the biting or attacking, that you should shriek in a high pitched voice. I tried the yelling (in an angry low voice) and it would make her more aggressive. Before, she would go into these attacking spells almost once every day. Since I've been using this high-pitch yell technique, it has done wonders. Every single time I yell in a high voice she runs away and stops. I have been doing this for a few weeks. She hasn't gone into attack mode in a while. Anytime she goes for any type of bite, I screech so she learns. I think the cats attribute the high screech to pain. When they hear you screech, it lets them know you are in pain.

I would also suggest to not use your own body in play. Make a toy the focus of your playtime, not your hands.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:35 AM

Re: an idea to curb agression -what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne5459
My fiance thought it might be a good idea to give a yell when she bites. A really loud yell! It definitely scares her, and it seems to be working for him. I haven't really given it a try yet. Will this work? Will she associate the unpleasant yell with her biting and stop doing it? Or will it make her scared of us?

Dont do it.....the cat has no idea why this crazy mean guy is screaming at her. She is only going to become scared of him.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen98
I would also suggest to not use your own body in play. Make a toy the focus of your playtime, not your hands.

I have read that ti is okay to use your hand to play as long as it does not look like your hand. Like you wrap it in a towel, move your hand under the blanket or use the glove like I do.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Banned

using the scream to deter cats might have the desired result....but you're risking them associating the scream with the source and not with the behavior. if you're fast, and consistent, and never use it for anything else, it might work. but lately feline behavioral thinking is leaning away from this type of behavioral modification.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Also, I think she bites for attention. I leave out dry food for her to nibble on during the day, but I give her wet food when I come home at night from work. She expects it now, and if I sit at the computer or watch TV soon, she acts aggressively and bites. If she does that, I usually wait another 10 minutes so she doesn't learn that that's a good way to get what she wants.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen98

I have read that ti is okay to use your hand to play as long as it does not look like your hand. Like you wrap it in a towel, move your hand under the blanket or use the glove like I do.
Stephen knows it's ok to play when I pull my sweatshirt sleeve over my hand. When I pull the sleeve back up, play time is over. She's also learned to be gentler with me b/c I can't take the pain like my bf can!

If she gets a little rough, I tell her "be nice" in a smooth, even tone. I agree that yelling only makes them meaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page