begging for food. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

begging for food.

WHENEVER i am eating, Squee is constantly all over me begging for a bite. just now i was eating a bowl of cerial and he was on my lap on my arms, climbing around on the back of the chair. i picked him up and dropped him on the floor at least 10 times and he would NOT give up. i didn't give in a let him have any, and now that i set the bowl on the floor with a little bit of the milk in it, he ignores it and goes and eats from his own bowl. how can i get him to leave me alone when i'm eating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Banned

Re: begging for food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste_Eden
now that i set the bowl on the floor with a little bit of the milk in it, he ignores it and goes and eats from his own bowl. how can i get him to leave me alone when i'm eating?
don't do this. cats are smart, but not smart enough to determine situation context. he sees you put the bowl on the floor intended for him, and then sees the same bowl on the table. to him it's fair game on the table if it's fair game on the floor. for now, put him in a separate room at mealtime if you can. he's not going to unlearn this overnight.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

our appartment is only one room. the bathroom had a door, but my husband broke it, so now it doesn't really close. we live in a studio appartment, so everything is all one room. usually i don't put my bowl on the floor. i've only one it twice, both times he ignored the bowl as soon as i wasn't eating out of it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Banned

unfortunately, with a cat, once is once too often. Tommy managed to scoot past me down the basement stairs a couple weeks ago and now every time I open the door, he comes running from wherever he is and I have to get through there before he does. as far as keeping him off the table, I don't know, it works for me, but I feed them first and then when I'm eating if one jumps up he gets shoved off. after a while with no success (and this is where consistency and persistency are required), I guess they finally gave up. once in a while they forget and jump up again, but one shove reminds them and they jump off. so it's not really a problem anymore. I think the big thing is feeding them first, so they're less interested in my food.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

his food dish was full, just my food is better, i guess. our meal times here are random. whenever someone is hungry, we make something. different time every day. many times i don't eat in the morning until noon, but today i was just hungry and got some cerial at 10:30, so *shrugs*
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 03:31 AM

Denzel does the same thing. But I'm lucky coz after about the 10th time of putting him down on the floor he gets sick of it and plays, or just goes into the other room.

But you know what I sometimes do, and I don't know if its a good thing or not. I've got a little bowl, which isn't his usual food bowl, and if he really really wants what I'm having, I'll put a tiny bit of it (only up to a mouthful) in this bowl and put it where his food sits and he'll eat and then go away. Its like he got a taste of it and he's happy.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:53 AM

Well my cat Monkey (that's her name) always comes over when we are eating. We live in a studio loft in NYC so we really can't have a separate room for them to eat.

I think they'll learn, sooner ot later but for now.. have patience. I tend to feed them when we eat, so we're all on top of our plate..hehe
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 10:05 AM

Vequi does this, but I've gotten a bit smarter. I know she is no lap cat, so when I eat, I just sit on a chair with my plate so if she wants to stick her nose in my plate she has to sit on my lap, something she doesn't like anyways.

One day, I was having a bowl of Fruit Loops careal and she was so persistent in trying to get into my bowl. Well, she got into my nerves instead to a point that a couple of grains fell to the floor. She sniffed the grains and voila, she found a nice... toy! Yeah, so much for begging for cereal and when she got to them, she just used the grains to play!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Tom Cat

Our guys can do this too. They don't always, though. We got into the habbit of feeding them BEFORE we eat. That way the hunger pains have been taken care of and they are content to lay and watch us eat. It has worked well for us to just feed the guys first.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
They get near my food, I hiss, they leave. Simple as that: speak their language and they get the message very quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page