Separation - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
JC

Separation

Hi all,
New here, but I have been having this problem with my new kitten.

She seems to be having issues with separation. She LOVES it when I am there and petting her and giving her attention, but when I am gone for even short times she gets into a lot of trouble and seems to get really upset.

Can kittens get separation stress from just one person? She doesn't seem to do this with anyone else she is around....just me.

The real problem is that I love it that she like me the best. I think I encourage it by giving her treats and holding and petting her constantly when I am around.

Any advice?

For MK...
http://forums.romance-central.com/viewt ... 4616#14616
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 01:49 PM
mKK

It's because she loves you

JC,

I think the reason why she is having problems with seperation is because she loves you so much. Just keep doing what you are doing, it is obvious that she loves getting the attention just as much as you love giving it. IF she gets into more trouble...just be patient with her. In the end it will be worth it.

http://forums.romance-central.com/viewt ... 4616#14616

mKK
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Banned

I don't think cats get separation anxiety like dogs do, because they are not a pack animal. They are a solitary animal and do just fine alone in their natural environment. However, a cat in a home is not in its natural environment. When it's awake, a cat needs physical excercise and mental stimulation. Cats alone at home get bored and unhappy because they have nothing to do. This is why often getting a companion cat is a good thing. If that's not an option, then be sure a cat left alone has plenty of toys accessible. Also, a window to look out of (a window shelf may be required). Also a cat tree and scratching posts so the cat can get some exercise. Even a radio on will help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I don't think cats get separation anxiety like dogs do, because they are not a pack animal.
I disagree based on the cats I've had. Chrissy definitely did get quite upset over separation, more so when Andrea wasn't there, but somewhat when I wasn't. It didn't matter if one of us was home to play, if the other was late, she paced, and stared at the front door. If one of us was out of town, it was very difficult to talk her into coming to bed. She would sit in front of the front door waiting for the other. When either of us returned from a trip, her relief and joy at seeing us back was obvious. She liked her world at its ultimate and that meant both Andrea and myself there with her. No amount of toys or play or food could substitute. If Andrea (who had her for 6 years before we met) wasn't there, Chrissy missed her immensely and it didn't matter how much activity or attention she got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page