New Apartment = sleepless nights - ack- help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

New Apartment = sleepless nights - ack- help!

I just moved my 2 cats into a new apartment. My cats are used to sleeping with me but my Girlfriend insists they sleep outside the room at night. This seems all great until about 6am (or when the sun comes out) and my timid cat wants to come into the room and hide in the closet.

If I don't go open the door at 6am they start CRYING/scratching at the door (bad !).......... And you all know that cry. It's tough for me because my girlfriend doesnt want them sleeping in the bed because they are really tough to sleep with, jumping off/on the bed startles her.

I cant keep waking up at 6 every morning to accomidate these cats - I work nights, I need my sleep!

How can I train them to sleep outside the room???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Senior Cat

Is there a reason she won't let the cats in the room at night? Because if they are allowed in at any time and then locked out at night, you won't be able to train them that they can't be in there. Unfortunatly what you are doing is confusing them, then catering to what THEY want when they cry.

You have three optionsas far as I can see:
1. Lock them out of the bedroom entirely, at all times.

2. Ignore the calls to come in. This takes time or them to learn that they can't get what they want and you will lose sleep for a while.

3. Find an agreeable solution for your girlfriend. My parents cats will sleep in pet bed at the base of the bed instead of in the bed. Or maybe they would sleep on a towel or blanket.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 11:57 AM

From the cat's point of view:

It would be one thing if they now had to share you, but, instead, they have been replaced in this part of your life.....kicked out.....rejected.....you have chosen her over them. It will certainly take time for them to accept such a change. You have punished them in the most severe way.....separation from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Banned

Dittoes on the above. When cats are used to doing things one way for a long time, it's very stressful for them, and very difficult for them to change. I don't say it's not possible, but if you really need them to stay out of the bedroom, put some cardboard on the door to protect the finish and buy some earplugs for you and your friend. Eventually they'll get used to it, but it will take some time. And if this is what you decide to do, NEVER give in. 100% consistency and persistancy is the only way it will work. Give in once, and you're back to square one.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Cool Cat

I feel bad for the kitties they will scratch and cry, and probably won't stop. We tried to teach Marsh to not scratch or cry when we lock him behind his pet gate, but it hasn't worked.. EVER. He's just upset, and we can't change how he feels.

The only way that worked is to have a play session for about 1/2 hour, he's happy and exhausted, and will sleep for a few hours behind the gate - otherwise, it's a no go.

My solution to you is to get an ottoman or a bed bench and teach the cats to sleep there, better yet, get a tall cat tree, they will LOVE sleeping on it next to the bed, looking you guys over
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarePuss
better yet, get a tall cat tree, they will LOVE sleeping on it next to the bed, looking you guys over
hey, that's a great idea---best I've heard!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:20 PM

Re: New Apartment = sleepless nights - ack- help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhouseasylum
It's tough for me because my girlfriend doesnt want them sleeping in the bed because they are really tough to sleep with, jumping off/on the bed startles her.
it seems everyone else just ignored this part. i know how you feel. squee sleeps during the day and is up all night climbing on us and attacking our feet (we live in a studio so we can't lock him out of the bedroom) the best thing to do is play with them really well before going to bed and completely tire them out, then have a cat bed or tree in the room (or in another room maybe) so they can sleep there. who knows, they may even prefer the tree to your bed. also, give them a bed-time snack after playing with them, animals (and people) tend to take naps and get sleepy when they're full.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:39 PM

Maybe I'm just a wussy but I gave into my Kilala and let him sleep with me in my room in my bed no matter how terrible he can be chewing on my hair or crying to get out. I wake up everymorning at 6 am to him either pawing my face, sitting on my face, licking my eyelid or chewing my arm to let him out. And I do let him out because when you gotta go you gotta go.

I have an opposite problem I have to keep him locked up with me in my room at nights because my dad constantly falls asleep on the couch in the open living room and Kilala LOVES my dad's big belly and snoring to play with where as my dad gets scared like **** to wake to this furball on his belly. I Could keep Lala in the bathroom but that just seems cruel when he could sleep with me. He loves to sleep with me too wraps his paws around my head and lets me hold them when I go to sleep. He'll even wake me up sometimes in the middle of the night if I shift and am no longer holding onto his paw.

I think both people and cats have to train each other to get accustomed to new circumstances. We're all the same right? Especially in a cat's head.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
buy some earplugs for you and your friend. Eventually they'll get used to it, but it will take some time. And if this is what you decide to do, NEVER give in. 100% consistency and persistancy is the only way it will work. Give in once, and you're back to square one.
I had to kick my kitties out of the bedroom because my allergies were getting unbearable, plus after adopting 3 the fighting and jumping on/off was just too much. Ear plugs work but definitely take Tim’s advice, do not give in! I have on several occasions and I have to start all over again. I put a blanket on each couch for the cats and they are happy sleeping there.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornangel012
I have an opposite problem I have to keep him locked up with me in my room at nights because my dad constantly falls asleep on the couch in the open living room and Kilala LOVES my dad's big belly and snoring to play with where as my dad gets scared like **** to wake to this furball on his belly.
This reminds me when I was living back at home with my cats for awhile, my dad would sleep and snore in the living room couch and Sugar would start sniffing his toes or something and basically scaring him in the middle of the night. Also she ended up pooping next to the sofa that same night too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page