What is up with them? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

What is up with them?

My two girls come out with me on the nights I go out to my parents' house so they can run around and see new cats and find new things.Well my cats have never gotten along with my parents cats so we have my girls in the living room and the other cats get the rest of the house. Well they were being really naughty last night and hissing at each other (my cats were hissing at each other, SISTERS). Well I put them into the carrier to bring them back to my house and Maddie started attacking Jazzy. Well I just bopped her nose and told her to quit. Well on the way home (1/2 hour drive), MAddie attacked Jazzy one more time, so I pulled over and looked into the carrier and pointed my finer at MAddie and told her to quit it, and she bit my finger. Now I have never been bit by my girls unless we are playing so it was kind of wierd. ANyway, that was last night, and still today, they are hissing at each other. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM?!?!?!??! Sorry for the long post!
~Kalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Banned

Sorry to say this Kalie, there's nothing at all wrong with your cats. The problem is with Kalie - she doesn't understand her cats. I strongly suggest you get a copy of the book "Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat, Not a Sour Puss" by Pam Johnson-Bennet. There's really too much going on here to address in a short post, but what you really need to do is see the world from your cats' point of view, and it's pretty obvious to me that you don't. Sorry.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:56 PM

Although reading the book recommended is good, one question that I have to ask now. Why did you take them somewhere to be around cats they don't get along with? Surely, you didn't think that was their desire? This is the equivalent of taking a young child who hasn't had their nap with you shopping and being surprised when he doesn't behave well. Do they like to ride? Like their carrier? If not, thats one more unpleasant experience you created. Last, they were obviously angry at each other and hissing. So, you then put them together in a cramped carrier? Two more direct observations....bopping a cat on its nose is wrong and can only escalate its anger and turn it to you. Why did you think that was a good idea? And, last, you know they Maddie is angry, hissing and attacking and you stick your finger in her face and yell at her. I would have bitten your finger too. Why would it surprise you that she did?

So, in summary, you created a very unpleasant experience for your cats and, then, you handled that experience poorly. Read the book, but also use common sense. Always try to put yourself in their place and think how they feel. There will be times you still won't understand. However, nothing you have described here seems surprising at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Banned

Thank you, NewRagDoll!! I was a little concerned my post was going to be a little too strong, but you said it well, and backed me up. This cat owner's eyes need to be opened. When she treats two cats like a couple of dogs, expects them to behave like dogs, and then when they behave like cats, thinks it's the cats' fault, she really needs to be reoriented. What she experienced is perfectly normal behavior for cats, under the circumstances.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok, first of all, my cats are pretty much the only things important in my life, so I wouldn't do anything to harm them physically or mentally. I have been told by many vets to bop them on the nose, not hard, but just a tap, to tell them no when they do something bad. Also, they LOVE the car ride and the carrier, that is where they sleep when they take naps, they choose to sleep in there. Also, they love going to my parents house because they have a HOUSE not an apartment and they can run around. The cats aren't even around when they are over there, it is just the smell of them that makes them wonder. I know how to take care of cats, as I have lived with them all my life and have read many books on understanding what cats mean when they "talk". So if you guys think that I am being abusive towards my cats, well thats fine, I will find another place to ask my questions. Obviously I came here to ask a question and wanted an answer not a lecture telling me how bad a parent I am to my girls.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 07:50 PM

we're not attacking you, it's just that from the information provided, it sounded as if you were, as newragdoll said, treating your cats like dogs. when my cat's are being naughty, i clap very loud or hiss at them or both, but i never touch them except to pick them up and move them if they're misbehaving. i only bop squee on the nose when we're playing and he doesn't mind it, but i never use it as punishment. are your girls spayed? if not, one or both may be in heat and that makes them cranky. if they are spayed, maybe they were just having a bad day. cats have bad days like people do. also, cats do not mind living in small areas. i have a 6 month old kitten in a studio appartment and he's perfectly happy. he doesn't need the run of a giant house and if your cats hate your parents cats, there's no reason to take them over there and subject them to your parents cat's offencive smell. cats are territorial and it's possible your girls feel threatened by the smell of other cats at your parents house. they feel like intruders on someone elses territory and your parents cats probably feel as if they are intruders as well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Banned

We didn't accuse you of being abusive toward your cats. What we said was that it seems you don't understand why cats do what they do. This was based on the description of events as posted by you. We can only go by what people write, we can't read in between the lines. You asked for help, and we told you what we thought the problem was to the best of our ability, based on the information you provided. You're free to take it or to ignore it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:57 PM

We can only respond based on the information given. Don't ask questions on a board if you don't want honest answers. I believe we gave considerable thought to our answers, which you can either accept or reject, all or in part. Obviously, this particular trip didn't work out well. We aren't saying you aren't a caring owner. Quite the opposite or you wouldn't be asking questions. However, I still question taking cats into territory of cats they don't like and I completely disagree with ever bopping a cat at any time, in any way. I also wouldn't put two cats that already are mad at each other in a single carrier, although maybe thats all you had with you so you had no choice (unless you could have borrowed one from your parents).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page