Do cats prey on insects? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Do cats prey on insects?

I was wondering if cats prey on insects? And if so, what kinds of insects? Thnx!! (not counting the fleas they get when they eat mice)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:12 AM

Kiera likes to bat at ants or spiders if she finds them.... but I don't think her mom taught her how to actually KILL them, so she tends to just bat them around with her paw! It's quite funny, but then I have to go and kill the badly-injured insect.... yuck!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Cool Cat

Assumpta likes to hunt moths, and will occasionally eat them or bring them to us as a gift.

Also, we had an infestation of Katydids last summer, and she wouldn't go near them, but she would find them and go into a low crouch (like an old-fashioned bird-pointing dog) and hold it until we came and disposed of the bug for her...if the bug moved to another place, she would follow it and resume the crouch position.

She's a strange cat...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Cool Cat

Unfortunately, we've been brought some ROACHES by our boys. They'll come over and prop their little paws up on the couch like, "Look Mom, Look Dad! I brought you something!" Usually it's just a milk ring, a hair tie, or one of their many toys. But then, sometimes (as we usually bug-spray pretty well), we end up jumping up and squirming all over the place because we've realized that we've been given a nasty, yucky, disgusting roach.

BUT!! We still praise the boys for bringing them. Even though it's absolutely revolting to us, the little fellas are just trying to show us what they caught for us. So, they get some love for that!

They also chase everything from lizards on the window screens to the TINIEST fly they might hear buzzing around their heads.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:16 AM

My aunts cats will catch little lizards, sometimes all they will bring you is the tail. It will still be moving and they drop it in your lap and just stare at you. I try very hard to praise them, but sometimes it is hard to when you have lizard tail squirming around in your hand.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 01:31 PM

lilly used to catch and eat hornets in the summer that got inside. she'd sit in the windows while the hornets buzzed around trying to get out and would bat at them with her paw and when she finally knocked them down to the windowsill, she'd eat them. same with flies and moths, and she hunts grasshoppers sometimes too.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Senior Cat

Moths are Dusty's favorite! He licks his chops after eating one, then comes over to kiss me... usually with a wing still stuck to his face...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Cat

Moths are Dusty's favorite! He licks his chops after eating one, then comes over to kiss me... usually with a wing still stuck to his face...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks all for your responses. I thought they did, but didn't know for sure, as mine haven't ever been out since I adopted them. I was wondering about their fascintation for the Cat Dancer, and was speculating that it was because it resembled an insect. Maybe that's not too far-fetched, indeed.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 04:32 PM

in the town where I used to live there were two very untame (I think strays) frightened black cats and I used to bring them crickets to eat and play with in the summer! They were a big hit, and the cat's became quite tame and let me pet them and even hold them! S I think cats like crickets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page