Constant Meowing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Constant Meowing

My roommate has a cat that is roughly 6 months old. Lately, she has been meowing every chance she gets. We'll pick her up and pet her, try and give her attention, and once we put her down she continues to meow. I'm wondering if this is a precursor to some other problem. Or is the cat just really lonely?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Lykis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 03:36 PM

Does she continue to meow while you are petting her? If not, sounds like the problem may be training.....she is busy training you.....I meow...you pick me up and pet me....if you put me down, I'll try it again until you pick me back up. Hopefully, this is the case.

On the other hand, sounds like a changed behavior and any changed behavior can be a sign of a problem. How is she eating, using her litter box, playing, behaving? Is she continuing to gain weight as she should? Does she react to being touched in any particular spots? To me, if she is truly meowing constantly and that is a change in behavior, I would get her to a vet and get her checked out.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 03:41 PM

My cat Marty used to be the same way - he would meow and meow and meow. Actually sounded something like this: M-m-meow m-m-m-meowwwww m-m-m-mmmmmmeeeooowwwwww. It stopped when we had him neutered. Now he just meows once in a while like the rest of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Well, the cat is female, and has yet to be spayed. The way you described the meowing is similar to how she is acting....

Lykis
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Cool Cat

Is she spayed? A cat in heat will frequently vocalize excessively (usually when you least want them to), and may be either unusually affectionate or aggressive, or alternate between the two. The heat meow/yowl is often quite distinctive, very hollow and pained sounding, accompanied by striking strange-looking postures as an invitation to mating...but if she's not spayed, she may well be in heat at 6 months. Heat is painful for cats, and too many "empty" heats can cause a uterine infection that is very dangerous, so it would be in the cat's best interest to set up a spay surgery as soon as her heat passes (in the meantime, keeping her closely confined indoors away from male cats to avoid pregnancy).

If she is spayed, and this is a new behavior, a call to the vet may be in order to rule out any physical causes. Once physical causes have been ruled out, start looking at anything that's changed recently that might be making her upset, insecure, or otherwise stressed.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 03:54 PM

Get her spayed NOW!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I will yell at my roommate to get right on it. Thanks for your help. One question though, when is it too late to get a cat spayed??

Lykis
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykanthrope
Well, the cat is female, and has yet to be spayed. The way you described the meowing is similar to how she is acting....
Sounds like heat to me, and she's around that age. Start calling around to set up a spay surgery now so that you can do it just as soon as she's out of heat. Look through the forums here to find links to low-cost spay/neuter programs near you if finances are an issue. But the sooner she is spayed, the more you can reduce the chances of unwanted kittens, reproductive infections and cancers, and a host of other health problems (not to mention the vocalizations, which are annoying at 3AM)

And beware: a female in heat will stop at nothing to get outside and mate. They will claw through screens, jump out of high windows, squeeze through the smallest door opening, run across busy roads without looking...they are cunning and devious and single-minded.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Wow, sounds no different then a ravenous woman....LOL!

Again thanks for the help.

Lykis
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Senior Cat

Another thing...what kind of cat is she? I have 2 Siamese mix cats and they are VERY vocal. All the time I mean, not just when they are in heat. They have a large range of vocalizations and will sit and have an entire conversation with me. (Jason thinks I'm nuts cause I sit and talk to the cats)
It could be that she is simply a talkative cat. She's looking for some kind of attention or just talking as she walks (Ketesh does this alot). Is she showing any other signs of being in heat? Sitting with her butt up? Cleaning her back end more than usual? Walking like she's waddling? Using the box a bit more often?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page